Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best inexpensive long arm? >

What is the best inexpensive long arm?

What is the best inexpensive long arm?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Rolling a quilt is the hardest way to do it, although it was standard advice 20 years ago. Bicycle clips and all that.
Today's advice is to make a puddle under the needle big enough for your hands and just spread out the quilt in a bigger puddle. It is still a job on a domestic machine

I'm not interested in a long arm, just watching someone else use one makes my back hurt so my choice was a Janome Horizon. 11" harp space. Then you have a machine for all your uses instead of a giant space taker. Unless you want to get into quilting for others. Anyway, that is my three cents.
I agree! I puddle and works just fine. I am not interested in a long arm. I would look for a used good quality one if I was.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 AM

Go to www.baileyssewingcenter.com and see what you can see. Call Chuck and talk to him. Both him and his son are awesome people. Being built in the USA by a family business the Bailey has probably the best support you can ever hope to get. You get to talk to people who built your machine. I have 17" Bailey and the Majestic frame finally in the assembly stage. Not Going to bother you why it took me a month to finally start putting it together (Sandy storm, no power, and no room big enough for the huge frame we bought - hahaha, we did not measure). I still have to meet a person who complains about a Bailey machine. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 AM

I agree that it is an investment and price is a big factor.With that said -buy the best one you can afford-you will not be happy with cheap.We all have our favorites but a long arm is not where you want to go too cheap and be disappointed.There are plenty of used ones out there if you can not afford new.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Go to www.baileyssewingcenter.com and see what you can see. Call Chuck and talk to him. Both him and his son are awesome people. Being built in the USA by a family business the Bailey has probably the best support you can ever hope to get. You get to talk to people who built your machine. I have 17" Bailey and the Majestic frame finally in the assembly stage. Not Going to bother you why it took me a month to finally start putting it together (Sandy storm, no power, and no room big enough for the huge frame we bought - hahaha, we did not measure). I still have to meet a person who complains about a Bailey machine. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 AM

I agree with Tashana! I purchased my 17-inch Bailey as part of an affordable package which included the Grace Majestic frame and stitch regulator late Sept., same as she did. I am so glad I bought it now that the learning curve is out of the way. It is a very basic, no nonsense machine which does a fine job. I also really like the frame..it works like a dream. I recently finished a third quilt on my Bailey (yes, that what I named my machine !) and I look forward to doing many, many more! Chuck Bailey and his staff have been very helpful and so is the Bailey forum.

Last edited by quilttiger; 11-22-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: deleting a typo
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 AM

There have been many good suggestions for you. I would also add that you may want to join the yahoo group - homequiltingsystems It is a super group with tons of information. I have learned so much from them. There are lots of files to read with comparisons of many frames.

Don't be in a hurry. Read everything you can find. Decide what you need and don't need

There are places on the net to look at used systems also. Go to big shows and do some serious test driving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I highly recommend the online Craftsy course Quilting Large Projects on a Small Machine. The instructor teaches several techniques that make it doable. Watch for sale prices on the course...might get it for $19.99, money well spent in my opinion. I learned lots of hints that helped with all my quilting (not just big projects).
thanks for sharing this, I've never been on their site before. The class you mentioned is on sale $19.99
http://www.craftsy.com/instructors/ann-petersen
Old 11-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I highly recommend the online Craftsy course Quilting Large Projects on a Small Machine. The instructor teaches several techniques that make it doable. Watch for sale prices on the course...might get it for $19.99, money well spent in my opinion. I learned lots of hints that helped with all my quilting (not just big projects).
All Craftsy courses are $19.99 or less for the next few days. Leah Day has a wonderful fmq course. I highly recommend it.