Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best Stack and Whack book? >

What is the best Stack and Whack book?

What is the best Stack and Whack book?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Well, you have certainly made some gorgeous quilts. Did you use Maxine Rosenthal book patterns for those? Should I begin with one of her books, or is it best to begin with Stack-n-Whack or Stacknwhacipedia to learn the technique?
Originally Posted by k3n
I have her Stacknwhackipedia which has lots of different pattern ideas and very clear instructions for stacking, cutting etc and how to chose fabrics. For the One Block Wonders you need one of the Maxine Rosenthal books and there I'd say it depends which you prefer - hexagons or octagons, and if you like the cubes.. Octagons and hexagon basics are in the first book, the second two are only hexes and cubes.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Well, you have certainly made some gorgeous quilts. Did you use Maxine Rosenthal book patterns for those? Should I begin with one of her books, or is it best to begin with Stack-n-Whack or Stacknwhacipedia to learn the technique?
Thank you! In fact all the quilts I have made have been from the Maxine Rosenthal books, except for a couple of generic kaleidoscopes that I just kind of winged! The fabric choice, layering, cutting etc is about the same in both books. It's the layouts that differ. If you want to do OBW, definitely get one of those books. IMO most ppl go wrong at the design stage and there are lots of tips in the books to set you on the right path to producing your layout! The OBW books are more technique-oriented - it is much more a process than a book saying 'to get a quilt this size and shape, take 5 yards of fabric A and 4 yards of fabric B and do this etc...'

On the other hand if you like the idea of doing hexes, squares, fans, diamonds etc, all with sashing between the blocks and specific patterns giving yardage requirements, finished size of quilt etc, go for the Reynolds book.

Or like amma said, try to bag a bargain and get them all! Amazon often has books listed 'used' that are hardly touched - I get a lot of mine that way! :D
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks so much for your detailed explaination of the difference between the authors. Yours is the best description I have found. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by k3n
Thank you! In fact all the quilts I have made have been from the Maxine Rosenthal books, except for a couple of generic kaleidoscopes that I just kind of winged! The fabric choice, layering, cutting etc is about the same in both books. It's the layouts that differ. If you want to do OBW, definitely get one of those books. IMO most ppl go wrong at the design stage and there are lots of tips in the books to set you on the right path to producing your layout! The OBW books are more technique-oriented - it is much more a process than a book saying 'to get a quilt this size and shape, take 5 yards of fabric A and 4 yards of fabric B and do this etc...'

On the other hand if you like the idea of doing hexes, squares, fans, diamonds etc, all with sashing between the blocks and specific patterns giving yardage requirements, finished size of quilt etc, go for the Reynolds book.

Or like amma said, try to bag a bargain and get them all! Amazon often has books listed 'used' that are hardly touched - I get a lot of mine that way! :D
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Your welcome! Just be sure to post pics of the results when you decide what to get and make! :-D
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Oh No! Now there's pressure!
Originally Posted by k3n
Your welcome! Just be sure to post pics of the results when you decide what to get and make! :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Oh No! Now there's pressure!
Originally Posted by k3n
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, and I'm keeping note so don't think I'll forget! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: