Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best straight stitche sewing machine? >

What is the best straight stitche sewing machine?

What is the best straight stitche sewing machine?

Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Buy a machine that only does a straight stitch. The ones that can zig zag will have a slight zig if you look at them closely through a microscope. Old vintage machines are hard to beat!
.....slight "zig". Where/how. Don't have a microscope....don't want to buy one either......
Old 05-19-2015, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 View Post
So I have been looking on online for good sewing machines for me to piece on that way if I need to get my other sewing machine cleaned I can have a back up. I have looked at several but before ordering I would like to know if you have used these sewing machine's or know anything about them. I have read and researching them for a couple weeks know.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XR9500...VV5HP4KX3EK68Y

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKPW3K?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XR1355...sewing+machine
I have found that my Singer 301 is excellent for the job. It is a basic machine forward and backward only. The feed dogs can go down so you can machine quilt, Very little goes wrong with it as it is a basic machine. If you are a speed demon, this is the machine for you but you have great control of fabric.
It is like a souped up Featherweight--
Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 AM

I've been quite happy with low end Brother machines. Usualky I end up passing them on to friends or family needing a machine. Lol!

However I will hang on for dear life to my Featherweight! I use it almost exclusively.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:13 AM

Love my Singer 15-91. (Paid $80 in a cabinet with no attachments.) And love my Pfaff. I totally agree, I am also spoiled with the IDT.
My next machines will be a Singer 201-2 and a Juki 2010Q.
If you do go the vintage route I strongly recommend purchasing a walking foot, wished I bought mine much sooner. Found it cheaper online vs local store. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 AM

I have the Brother XR9500, I've had it for a while and love it. Have used some of the decorative stitches and it works great. I bought it as a back up and to take to classes because it is lightweight compared to my other machines. I also have a featherweight, I use it but it is mostly for looks. I like the Brother because you can just about take it to any sewing machine repair shop for service and parts are usually available. With the featherweight service and parts in my area are hard to come by.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by nancytp12 View Post
I have found that my Singer 301 is excellent for the job. It is a basic machine forward and backward only. The feed dogs can go down so you can machine quilt, Very little goes wrong with it as it is a basic machine. If you are a speed demon, this is the machine for you but you have great control of fabric.
It is like a souped up Featherweight--
The 301 is called the Featherweight on steroids. Mine came with a "Zig-zag attachment". It works well if the fabric is firm enough or starched. It also has a buttonholer that works much better than my $2,000 Bernina.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 AM

I use a Babylock Jane for straight stitching. Jane handles the bulkiness of quilts, denim, leather, etc with ease. She is easy to clean, and if purchased new, quite a few different feet come home with her. Some of those feet included a hopping foot for FMQ, a walking foot, and a 1/4" foot. Jane is mechanical, so don't expect any means for computerized design or s stitch regulator or even a zig zag stitch. Jane is completely a straitch machine with a 9' throat. Check out your Babylock dealer....store demo models are being sold to make way for newer products.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM

Vintage machine for straight stitching hands down. My favorite is either the 15 or the 301. I've purchased many straight stitch machines for $20 and have been given some. Don't spend big bucks for a straight stitch only machine. That's money that can be spent elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I have a cheap Kenmore and I love it...
Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Although proponents of vintage machines have a low regard for the new machines....I will duck as machine parts come flying over my head....my feelings are get a NEW reasonably priced, good rep machine as a traveler or a backup or even the everyday go to machine.....vintage is for those who want to collect.......thought I really wanted a FW until I bought it...NOT!!!! Love my new plastic ones better!!!
Sorry I have to disagree with you about the vintage machines only being for collectors. I have a 201 and a featherweight that I love and use all the time plus an older Pfaff that I wouldn't trade for anything. Many ladies in my quilt group also have and use vintage Singers regularly. So far I have not had to have any of them serviced, my husband checks them out for me and keeps them cleaned and oiled. By the way I don't consider myself a collector. Forgot to mention that I take the featherweight or the Pfaff to retreats or my quilt group. The 201 is way too heavy and is in a cabinet so it stays home.

Last edited by nlpakk; 05-21-2015 at 08:44 AM.