Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best way to clean this? >

What is the best way to clean this?

What is the best way to clean this?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Not a cat hater but when my last cat and her offspring of one had an "accident" on my bed, they took up a new residence elsewhere. When they don't use their litter boxes and use other areas to do their business, laundry and such and do it "once in awhile" I would not tolerate it and didn't. Not a cat hater but definitely not a cat lover! If they've done their business on the laundry, they've probably done it on the carpet and maybe behind/on the furniture.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM

I'd spray the area with "feline odor neutralizer" or another similar enzyme product. Then after waiting a while, I'd wash just that corner in a bucket of water with a little detergent and vinegar. The enzyme products really do work. And they work on human stains, too, like blood, grass stains, ... Although for blood, when the stain is fresh, open a new bottle of peroxide and soak with that.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:48 PM

A vet told me that if a cat goes outside its litter box, there's a reason.

Here are several possibilities:

If it's a male, get him neutered. If already neutered, feed him low ash food.

Put another litter box in the room where the "accidents on purpose" are happening.

Try a new brand of litter. Sometimes manufacturers change the formula and don't say "New! Improved!"

Good luck! And please let us know which cleaning method worked for the quilt.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Just last week had to deal with a similar issue. I put some liquid OxiClean (maybe a tablespoon or so) in a coffee cup full of clear water, put the affected part of the quilt on a white towel with a color catcher between the two, and used a white bath cloth to gently, gently, gently brush the stain with OxiClean/water solution.. This quilt was already quilted and waiting for me to put a sleeve on so I could enter it in a show.
I left it on the bed where it was lying when I was working on it--towel still under it--turned on the ceiling fan and let it dry over night. Nothing is left of the stain.

In my case, it was bad dog! froggyintexas
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I will keep you all posted on how it works.

Dragon - he is old and acts out when it gets cold. He likes to go outside at night and when he can't, he sometimes does this.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:07 AM

Tale that cat to the vet. He may have issues with his bladder or may have other health issues. We had a cat who suddenly began urinating ijn odd places and he had a bladder problem and later found out he was diabetic. With good care and meds the problem was overcome.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 AM

I made a quilt for my Grandaughter a couple of years ago. It was not sandwiched at the time of her baby shower. I wrapped it and let her open it with the explanation that it needed to be quilted. I took it to the car after the party with a bunch of other stuff that had to go. One thing was a pan with ham juice in it. Duh....spilled it all over the top. I thought it might be ruined...that top was full of drippings. I washed it in the washer on gentle. Then hung it to dry. I did have to trim some threads from the back...but it worked out pretty good. Was able to finish the quilt without a problem. So just be careful!! Treat it gently. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:54 AM

I use Natures Miracle for all my pet accidents. It works really well. I believe the main ingredient in it is hydrogen peroxide.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 AM

For those of you concerned about his health, thank you. He has been to the vet and he is fine. He is very resistant to changes in his routine and he sometimes does this when there are changes in the house. The holidays and the cold weather put him off.

I now have gotten Nature's Miracle and will be attempting the cleaning this weekend. Cross your fingers!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 PM

Unfinished tops can be washed, just be prepared to trim lots of threads. Be smart, wash by hand or delicate on your machine, lay flat or hang to air dry.