Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best way to store quilts for upcoming bazaar. >

What is the best way to store quilts for upcoming bazaar.

What is the best way to store quilts for upcoming bazaar.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Default What is the best way to store quilts for upcoming bazaar.

I have them closed in waterproof plastic bin but not sure if this will create permanent wrinkles. I do have a ! at so I try to protect from kitty as so.e are allergic??
Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 PM

I assume it was sewed in an area in which the cat was allowed, so I probably wouldn't worry about allergies at this point. If you want to keep them from getting cat hair on them for aesthetic reasons, that's a different story.

Typically, rolling a quilt, wrapping it in fabric (muslin, typically) and placing in a cardboard tube (with or without plastic around it, depending on who you ask) seems to be the gold standard. Of course, almost none of us follow that standard unless we are entering a quilt in a major show or are storing a quilt worth thousands of dollars until it sells.

I do try to roll my quilts & if I plan to sell it, I'll make a cheapy muslin bag for it (one of the few times I actually buy fabric at JAF/HL). If I'm feeling ambitious, I add a drawstring tie at the top, but honestly, that's probably not as ideal since it makes a hole for dust to get in -- still, clients really like the tie. Of course, I'd never go to that much work if I was only selling the quilts for $50-75 a piece.

If you target the higher end market, I must say the muslin bags are a big hit. If you are more the mid to cost-conscious market, you might try rolling it & wrapping in a plastic tarp, then tie at both ends with curling ribbon or plastic garbage ties.

That said, there is no such thing as "permanent wrinkles". It is my firm believe & experience from working both with quilts and high-end retail, that every wrinkle can be steamed out with enough patience. Fortunately, cotton fabrics don't actually even take much patience to steam out wrinkles. If your current iron doesn't have a vertical steam function & can't steam horizontally without pressing, check-out your local grocery chain or rental center to see about renting a steamer machine the day of your show.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Power Poster

I would be much more worried about humidity/ moisture causing damage than wrinkles. Plastic isn't generally recommended. Cloth bags, pillow cases, even just rolled in prewashed fabric ( muslin is a good choice) is a better choice over plastic.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 AM

If you have a spare bed, you can simply drape them, stacked, on top of the pillowless bed, cover them with a sheet and close the door. No cat dander, no dust, no wrinkles, no folding, no musty smells, no problems. Rolled quilts do wrinke and stretch a bit if stored that way because the inside (top) is compressed more than the outside (back). Conservators here recommend storing quilts fanfolded with rolled muslin or archival tissue paper in the folds and refolding every 6 months, but I don't imagine yours will be in storage long enough to warrant that intensity.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Yes, plastic is not the best for long term storage, however if it's just for a month till the bazaar, you will probably be fine. As far as wrinkles go, if you have a spare bed, laying them flat is the best. YOu can put a sheet over them to keep the kitty off. Another way to minimize wrinkling is to fold them on the bias:
http://annfahl.blogspot.com/2012/02/...re-quilts.html
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I fold all quilts on the bias, no fold lines. The quilts fold up more compact too. I would line the container with cotton fabric by making an X with two pieces. Then fold the ends over the top of the quilts.

Video how to fold quilts on the bias: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2NWaZccSY

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-12-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I store my quilts in custom pillowcases I made. Put them somewhere where the cat can't get to them.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking this would be a good way to fold stash.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I fold all quilts on the bias, no fold lines. The quilts fold up more compact too. I would line the container with cotton fabric by making an X with two pieces. Then fold the ends over the top of the quilts.

Video how to fold quilts on the bias: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2NWaZccSY
Ah- so close. I did use the folded sheet like this but did not fold quilts on the bias. I just re-adjusted since last fold up.OK I will do it again!

Last edited by ukdame; 09-13-2015 at 07:07 PM.