Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What blocks do you think quilters should learn? >

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 AM

I was interested in this same topic and yesterday I did a search for "easy" or "beginner" blocks of the month and came up with this, which I'm going to have a go at http://www.bomquilts.com/proddetail....=2009BOM&cat=7
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 AM

My beginning quilters class did a sampler. I think this is very helpful because it is about learning techniques that will come in handy later on other projects. Sewing accurate seams, y seams, using templates, using rulers. It's not just about what you like. It is about learning how to do what you might like later as you build your skills.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 AM

Here I come with my unpopular comments. As a HAND QUILTER I think you should try the actual quilting first. Take something as small as a decorative size pillow top and try hand and even machine quilting it. Just draw a simple pattern on it with a pencil and attempt to follow the lines by hand and or by machine. If you enjoy doing that and are pleased with the results than you can be a "quilter". I understand how "patchwork" quilting came about. Our ancestors here in America were smart, thrifty women. They couldn't afford to waste a thing. They would be horrified that we take perfectly good whole yardage and cut it into tiny pieces and than sew it back together again. They made their quilts from the scraps left after they constructed the everyday garments and linens required to take care of their families. It was their way of brightening their homes while still making use of every little scrap of fabric left over from their household sewing. Quilting in Europe, where fabric was manufactured and readily available, was done on "whole cloth". It was done to add warmth and to show off their stitches. Take a little time to think of why you want to quilt. I have made hundreds of Linus quilts. They are simple childish prints backed with flannel and very basically machine quilted. They give me an opportunity to indulge in my hobby of buying fabric. If I didn't make something with it, my house would gradually be taken over by my collection. I also have a trunk and a cedar chest full of finished bed quilts along with quilts of various sizes on chairs, sofas and the bed in my house They are even on a wall in most every room in my house. Any major occasion in my family usually has me producing a quilt as a gift. I even won a king size raffle quilt made by a local quild. Welcome to our club but find your favorite part of the quilting process and enjoy.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ga Gigi View Post
I loved Amy Gibson's free class on craftsy.com. It is very basic and you make about 12 different patterns included with the course. She is a great teacher! I to am a beginner and loved the class.
I think a Craftsy class is a good idea. You will be exposed to a variety of elements, you can watch the class as many times as you like, and they are interactive, so you can ask questions and get the support you need. I also think a good book is important. When I taught school, I told my students that if you can learn to read, you can learn anything you want. When I started quilting, I bought a book and taught myself. But it much more fun sharing with a group, even if it a Craftsy class. Good luck :-)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Here are a couple websites that offer free instructions and free patterns. Browse through them and see if any of them appeal. Many people find the Missouri Star Quilt Company's video tutorials especially helpful. As someone suggested borrow a beginner"s book from the library

http://quiltingtutorials.com/

http://www.fonsandporter.com/columns/sew_easy_lessons (also has free patterns)

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Tut...Tutorials.html (also has free patterns)

http://www.craftsy.com/class/craftsy...qbb&_ctp=183,1

http://www.craftsy.com/class/The-Cra...-qbb&_ctp=50,2
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

McCalls Quick Quilts have been running a 6 part series called Studio Sampler which is a skill building series. It started in the Dec/Jan 2014 issue. I am not sure if this has access to everyone, but they refer to accurate 1/4" seam allowance see:
QuiltQuilts.com
Videos>Quilting 101
Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 AM

Try to google quilt guilds in your atete and see if there are any others in your area you could join. Also check chruches and Senior Citizen centers. Just having that person to person knowledge is great. Even if you don't think you have a problem, they may see a different way to accomplish what you are working on. Sometimes for the better, sometimes your method will work better for you. The guild I am in has classes taught by members and the cost is free or only the expense of patterns required.

Welcome to quilting and this board.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 AM

Quilting isn't just the block pattern. Quilting is about the fabric. Go to a quilt store and find a fabric you have just gotta work with and then pick a pattern that will showcase that fabric. Some quilters do pick a pattern and then pick the fabric for the project. Others pick the fabrics and then pick the pattern to showcase the fabrics.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 AM

While I agree with what others have said, I do believe there are a couple of blocks that it's good to master. One is the half square triangle, also the quarter square triangle and maybe flying geese. These blocks, especially the half square triangle can be used to make so many wonderful quilts. By the way, if you haven't done so already, take some time to really get to know your sewing machine and all of it's features. It's no fun to try to make something, end up struggling with it, then find out later you could have done something with the machine to make it much easier to complete the block or quilt. Welcome to the group. You will find many good answers to your questions, it's like being in a class without the formality. I'm really sorry you are being limited right now both physically and financially and hope you get well soon. If you can, share with us as you go along. Pictures help if you are having trouble; trust me, there's no mess you can get into that someone here hasn't done and found an answer for it. Again, welcome from Joyce in DE.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 AM

There are some really good suggestions for you already so my opinion is just that.... my opinion.

I have been a sewer for many years but like you, I didn't have anyone to show me how to quilt and I really wanted to do it. I knew how to sew but learned so much from watching TV shows about quilting. I don't think the Simply Quilts show with Alex Anderson is on the air anymore (and I'm really showing my age) but I loved that show. I got so many great ideas.... and did several quilts I saw there. Now I can watch Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting and Nancy Zieman's Sewing with Nancy (some shows are about quilting, some are sewing). Now I tape them and watch them when I get the chance instead of getting up super early to catch the show on a Saturday morning. Check your TV guide to see what's available in your area.

I know there are lots of videos on line as well. I'm sure those would be good but I haven't watched many on those myself.... again, showing my age.

Good luck..... pick something you love and go for it. And, we're all here to answer questions or take you under our wings to get you to where you want to be in your quilting. It's a fantastic ride!!