Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What blocks do you think quilters should learn? >

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM

The great thing about quilting is there are no "shoulds" (except with the quilting police, to which I say ).......

I think you should do what excites you and keeping you interested in and enjoying your craft. If that means attempting something truly hard, or just sticking with putting 4 patches together until you feel comfortable, then go with it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 AM

I think in terms of units - HST's, flying geese, 4 patch, strip sets, etc. There are a set of units that turn into most any pieced block there is. If you can master those, you can make most anything (until, of course you start on applique, paper piecing and all that other stuff
Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Amalie View Post
I'm a new quilter. I didn't grow up with quilts or around quilters, so I have no idea which blocks are common and/or necessary. And for the blocks I do recognize, I have no idea what their names are. The only block names I know are log cabins and pinwheels (I've made both of those).

What blocks do you think new quilters should learn?

If you have any suggestions for resources, that would be welcome.
Which ever of the millions of blocks they like! Personal choices. I've never seen quilting as a subject that had to be learned.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM

My opinion - (as a relatively 'new' quilter in terms of time)

Learn the blocks that appeal to you. Make the quilts that appeal to you. You'll get practice enough making them to master them or decide they aren't your style.

I thought about a sampler - and made one block for it -- not necessarily my thing. However, if i were to find enough intriguing blocks, or a sample that caught my eye - I might give it another go!

While you need sewing skills, learn about colors, fabrics, sharpen your math and geometry skills, follow your eyes for things you like, pick colors out of nature...

I say find something you like & jump right in!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Make things you find exciting! Exciting things will certainly build your skills.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 AM

In my opinion, it's not so important to learn how to make particular blocks. You can always find a pattern for pretty much any block you decide you want to turn into a quilt. What you need to learn are the skills, and how to piece the basic building blocks:
1/2 square triangles (that's what your pinwheels are made from)
1/4 square triangles (picture the half-square triangle cut in half the other way, with 4 triangles of colours instead of 2)
Y-seams (lemoyne star is a good block for this)
log cabin is a good example of rectangular piecing - and an excellent place to practice getting that perfect 1/4" seam
Then you can branch into applique and curves
Oh, I forgot basics like 4-patch and 9-patch too.

So I suggest you pick a basic shape you want to learn. And then find a block ( others have posted good links for that) which uses that shape and make a few of those.

I see maminstl had the same idea as me.

Edit to add more basic building-block ideas:
flying geese
snowball blocks
rail fence

Last edited by kristakz; 03-24-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Once you can confidently makes blocks that are made up of squares (e.g., 9-patch, Patience Corner), rectangles ((e.g., Log Cabin, Rail Fence), triangles (e.g., Dutchman's Puzzle, Birds in Air), and curves (e.g., Drunkard's Path, Orange Peel), there is no limit to the blocks you can make. It's simply combining shapes, one piece at a time.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 PM

Do what interests you. To find what interests you, I would try a sampler quilt of blocks. I'd try to make the blocks the same size. It wouldn't have to be a pattern, you could just choose blocks from www.quilterscache.com . I would try to stretch yourself by making some with squares or rectangles, some with triangles, the suggested kinds were good (HST, QST, flying geese), something with curves (like moon over mountain, drunkards path) Something with applique, and some hexies (grandmother's flower garden), The log cabin and orange peel are good.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM

I started with a 9 patch. Very versatile and no triangles. :-) Enjoy the process.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 AM

There are many wonderful books available (even through the library) that have basic and traditional blocks in them. Try to make your own library for reference. Some people seem to stick to the basic blocks for all of their quilts. With some basic insights into how blocks are made other quilters launch out and create new ideas that spark their quilts. I know there is an abundance of information in magazines and online for block construction. We live in a wonderful creative era that enables us to choose patterns that challenge us. I started out lots of years ago making a log cabin quilt. I have been challenged throughout the years by books, magazines and other quilters to branch out into new ideas. Just the changes in fabric design put a whole new spin on quilt concepts. Have lots of fun. It doesn't have to cost a furtune-you just need to look for opportunities.