Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it?

I am interested in knowing about Bottom Line before I do a purchase. I have bought from Superior Threads a few times, but would like inpput about this thread. This might sound totally stupid, but is Bottom Line for the bobbin? Thank you, Jeanne
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I use bottom line in my bobbins alot. It is 60wt - very fine and strong. ( I think nylon or blend - my label does not say) Because it is so fine, I don't have to change the bobbin so often. At first I was afraid the stitches would not show because it is so thin, but I find that is not the case.
    Beth in Maryland

Banned
    It's a 60 wt poly designed for the bobbin
    Lots of quilters also applique with it - so fine it disappears regardless of what colour you use.

Bottom line is intended for embroidery. When you're doing machine embroidery and have a thread dense design you don't want the thread so thick on the back side.

I personally don't see much point to using it to piece with. Sure it's finer and you get more on a bobbin but at the same time you've got two different threads in your seam and one may cut the other over time.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-25-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: remove copyright material
    Got fabric?

I use the superbob per wound bobbins with bottomline for quilting. it is thinner than i would like for piecing. Great stuff. Tough and easy to use.

pam

I use it for a lot of different things, as mentioned above, but I especially like it in combination with Superior's Sew Fine for piecing. It's a great combo.

Banned
    It is old, outdated quilting lore that top and bottom threads must be the same.
    I've been quilting for 30+ years, often using different threads, quilts have been well used and washed alot - no problems.
    We really need to put to rest a lot of the old rules.

My Bernina machine worked just fine when piecing with the Bottom Line in my bobbin, but when I used the Bottom Line with my Brother, the tension was all wrong. I switched back to same weight thread.

Blog Entries
    Bottom Line can be sensitive to ironing and therefore could melt. Not recommended for piecing per Superiors website

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast