Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Challenges have you participated in? >

What Challenges have you participated in?

What Challenges have you participated in?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Both of my guilds have challenges from time to time. Just wondering what challenges you have participated in lately?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM

My favorite challenge was to make a quilt with only three fabrics -- the colors of them had to start with the quilter's initials!
The most recent challenge was to make a quilt no larger than 20" using scraps from a bag someone brought to the meeting. :roll:
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM

I'm sort of participating in the challenge on this board to finish a UFO a month. Not doing too well on it though! Have finished a queen sized hand pieced top, ready to do binding on a small throw, made varying amounts of progress on several others and finished the 'worst' one completely. So it at least got me moving on them, even if they aren't all finished yet. And I have finished several 'new' projects too.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM

I've done a couple of ugly fabric challenges.

The last challenge I was in we all drew a thing out of a bag. There was all sorts of things in the bag, greeting cards, food labels, napkins, etc. You had to use the colors in the thing that you drew in the same proportion. I pulled out a really pretty, antique looking Christmas napkin. I searched thru my stash and then thru several quilt stores and never did find the green and red in that napkin. The green had a lot of blue and the red was way to the orange side. I finally gave up and just made a wall hanging that I liked with Christmas fabrics I liked.

I have seen crayola challenges and M&M challenges.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting cat
My favorite challenge was to make a quilt with only three fabrics -- the colors of them had to start with the quilter's initials!
The most recent challenge was to make a quilt no larger than 20" using scraps from a bag someone brought to the meeting. :roll:
That sounds like fun but I can't think of any colors that have my initials !! Did anyone have trouble with it??
Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That sounds like fun but I can't think of any colors that have my initials !! Did anyone have trouble with it??
S = scarlet
M = magenta / mauve,
anymore??
Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 AM

I don't belong to a quild so I make my own challenges. Right now I'm collecting for the personal challenge I call the "Man Quilt". The quilt has to be made from 100% cotton men's shirts that I've acquired from garage sales and thrift stores.

I've also started one made of selvages sewn to adding machine tape but I'm using selvages from other people in addition to my own. DD and I are still deciding how to set them together, we've drawn out several different ideas.

Mostly I just like to look at pix of other quilts or quilt patterns and figure out how I can change it to make it my own.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Silver and Melon?
Sapphire and Midnight Blue?
Slate Gray and Maize?
Sienna and Mint?

See, now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Actually, I think it sounds like fun also.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 AM

I'm in another UFO challenge on Pat Sloan's board. She also has some of us using scraps/tail ends to make calendar quilts. Once strip for each day in the 12 months of the year. I've finished about 6 or 7 months. I'm sewing them as leaders/enders and getting these done as I work on busting UFOs. Had a challenge I won at a guild in TN when I lived there. It had one color, star(s), lace and size for requirements. I made a quilted jacket for that one and won. People were not happy with my interpretation and consequent win. LOL Too bad.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 AM

I've done one challenge and that was enough for me. Yikes...