Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to charge for a T-shirt quilt? >

What to charge for a T-shirt quilt?

What to charge for a T-shirt quilt?

Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
CKCOWL has the correct idea. What is your time worth to you? You can't afford one of my quilts because I won't quilt for less than minimum wage. Matter of fact, I won't quilt for minimum wage. A quilt, done right, takes a lot of time. My quilts are for me or for those I care about. That transcends money. But to finish a quilt that took you 80 to 100 hours to finish, a hundred bucks in fabric, batting and thread, then get 250.00 for it? Life is too short.

tim in san jose
I won't sew for minimum wage either, I charge $20 an hour for sewing if someone wants me to sew something for them. Such as bindings, making pillow cases/shams, any basic sewing jobs. And when someone asks about what it costs to make a quilt I tell them, ( queen size range around $350-$500, what did you have in mind?) If they are still interested we discuss it, and figure out all the details. Then it is written up, signed by both of us and a 50% deposit is required before I buy or cut a single piece of fabric, with the remainder due upon completion. I've only had one person ever decide to not buy her quilt when it was finished ( she never even saw the finished quilt, when I called her to let her know it was finished she said OK, then later- when I was on my way to deliver it- sent a text message saying, ' I don't want it' ... She forfeited her deposit and I sold the quilt for 3 times what I was charging her) that was 8 years ago.
Always cover all issues ahead of time, avoid problems with good communication, and putting the arrangements in writing.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:06 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with the $25 per shirt