Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What to charge?

What to charge?

I am going to quilt a friend's quilt on my longarm. I've never quilted for others before. I can figure out what to charge her to do the quilting from other threads I've read, but I don't know how much to charge her for thread. Is there a formula to use? I don't have to worry about the batting - she's providing it.

Thanks for your help! I'm a little nervous about quilting somebody else's quilt (what if something goes wrong), but she has seen my quilts and is confident in my work. This is for her little granddaughter's birthday in mid-February, so I'm happy to help her get it done.

Kerry in WA

I visited other longarm sites, made a spreadsheet in excel. I changed my prices a couple of times in the first year, usually lowering the price here or there. Some longarmers do not charge for thread, or will charge 1 or 2 $ per bobbin. Price will also depend on what you use for thread, I usually use King Tut varigated, it is my fav
    good luck
    advice? don't stress, breathe and enjoy the process.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Don't forget that based on your experience level doing other's quilts(none) you should probably not be charging the going rate for commercial quilters...just saying... Most people I know who are just starting out longarming do quilts for friends for very cheap until they can build up their confidence and experience.

I charge $8.00 for thread unless I'm doing a very detailed custom quilt -- then I charge a little more (according to size, etc). I did a king size quilt, 2 colors of thread and VERY detailed -- charged her $20.00.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I'm not charging what experienced longarm quilters charge. I'm charging her a very reasonable (i.e., cheap) amount. Just didn't know how to handle the thread usage.

Kerry in WA

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble View Post
    advice? don't stress, breathe and enjoy the process.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    I charge $8.00 for thread unless I'm doing a very detailed custom quilt -- then I charge a little more (according to size, etc). I did a king size quilt, 2 colors of thread and VERY detailed -- charged her $20.00.
    That's good info. Thank you.

I don't charge extra for thread. If they want something I don't have, i have them supply it and they get the rest back.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain