Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color thread? >

What color thread?

What color thread?

Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Default What color thread?

Is it okay to use a beige thread on a pink & white quilt? If not, what color should I be using?

I am newer to quilting & just finished a modified McCall's 6412 pattern, which is a dimensional quilt with tiny little doll-sized outfits hand appliqued onto nine different 9x12" white polka dot blocks. Surrounding each block is a 3" triple stripe of pink-white-pink (the pink is a batik with a bluish undertone). I have a bright blue batik border to bring in the main accent color from my pink, white & black dresses. My backing fabric (I hope) is a brightly colored pattern set in a black background.

The back is busy enough to tolerate a wide range of colors. The front is giving me trouble. I really wanted to use a beautiful Light Beige thread by aurafil (#9112) for the pink & white part and a variegated blue for the blue border. But I've been reading that "one should never" use anything other than pure white thread on a white fabric. I did the thread pooling test & the light beige looked good to me, but what do I know? I'm worried the Bubblegum variegated will detract from the beautiful applique & call too much attention to my beginning FMQ skills (quilting pattern is a simple 1" stipple). Is white-on-white really the only way to go?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Welcome to the board. Can you post a picture?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

you can use any color you want/like!!! who ever told you you should not use anything except white??? people use many, many colors on white every day! if you like the beige- then use the beige. I have a white whole cloth quilt that was quilted with a lovely pink- and the binding is a turquoise print- it is a lovely quilt that people comment on each time it is seen. the white quilt on my bed was quilted with a variegated blues to lavender thread- it to is quite lovely. there are no rules- you can use what ever thread you like!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 AM

Use what looks good to you. You're the artist!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:12 AM

It's your quilt, your decision. Use what looks good to you. I base what color thread I use on how much I want the quilting to show. Sometimes the quilting is the star of the show and sometimes it's the patchwork design. I will often take a scrap and do some quilting on that in making my decision. In doing your test piece use some batting and backing too because that will more closely replicate what the finished quilt will look like. This also allows me to decide on the stitch length if I'm not doing free motion and tension setting if I'm using a different color bobbin thread.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 AM

Sure you can! Whatever color you want to use is the right one!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the Boards!!

I too agree with the others ... do what you like! There are no rules!

Contrasting thread can make for a lovely effect. Although it can also look disastrous.
It really depends on the effect YOU want and what YOU like!

One of the nicest baby quilts I have seen was a white background with variegated thread (blues-white) cross hatched. It was subtle and broke up the constant white quite nicely. That one really sold me on variegated thread use. Likewise, some of the loveliest wholecloth hand quilting I have seen has been coloured thread on white or cream.

You have already tried pooling your thread and like it.
If you want further confirmation, do a test piece of the same fabrics and threads with you are considering. Then make your decision.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:33 AM

Do you have any leftover scraps of the fabrics from the quilt? If so, I would make a small practice quilt sandwich and give the beige you like a try. It could be pretty small to just get the idea of how it would look. You could just piece some of the scraps together, just strip piece the together since it's the colors that matter and not the pattern. Then quilt over the fabrics using the FMQ and colors you plan. I sometimes do this to get a good feel for how the thread will look sewed on the fabric, plus, it's a little bit of extra FMQ practice too!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Use what looks good to you. You're the artist!
Yes, you are the artist. I always lay a bunch of different threads on the quilt top to see what looks best. I did a pink and white and quilt and what worked for me was a pastel pink. It didn't scream on the white and blended with the pinks.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

If the beige thread looks good pooled on the white than use it. My only concern would be the dark backing but if it is busy enough it should be fine.