Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is correct way to sew borders? >

What is correct way to sew borders?

What is correct way to sew borders?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks AndiR!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ecmoore
It depends on whether you're planning on using a longarmer, and whether you're doing something like entering the quilt in a show. For years, I've managed to put borders on by making long strips, then just sewing them on, trimming the strip so that it's even. That's worked well enough for me when I'm hand quilting, FMQ, or using a walking foot.

It doesn't matter whether you put the top/bottom borders on first, or the sides - that makes no difference other than in the look.
This is how I do it. I never cut my borders before sewing them on. I have never been able to make them come out the right length. Doing it this way, I have never had a border be rippled or crooked.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by AndiR
I have a handout on how to apply borders so they lay nice and flat. You can download from my website's Tips & Hints page - click on the "How to Apply Borders Handout" link here:

http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/learn.htm
I added it to my favorites! Great Site!

Since I am mostly a self taught quilter, taking the occassional class at a quilt shop, or learning word of mouth, it is nice to see this post and get others' opinions.

Often times when I was just begining to quilt I would wrap the backing and hand stitch it as my borders. When someone asked me about it I was glad to learn a new way. But I still will "wrap the back" border on a gift quilt to one of my grand kids!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by AndiR
I have a handout on how to apply borders so they lay nice and flat. You can download from my website's Tips & Hints page - click on the "How to Apply Borders Handout" link here:

http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/learn.htm
This is how I do them too !!! I have never had a problem since doing them this way.
I do some LA quilting a few days a week at a friends shop and what a pain when the boarders are off, it does cause alot of problems.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 AM

I'm sorry, but the smart aleck in me immediately thought, "with a needle and thread." :-)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 AM

Thanks Andi!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 AM

This is how I also do it. It works great!
Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
I was taught to measure across the center of the quilt...from side to side then top to bottom. Then pin it on the ends and center as ecmoore said...you might need to stretch the fabric to make it fit correctly. I prefer to do the sides first then the top and bottom just MHO..happy stitchin' crafty_linda_b
Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 AM
k3n
Power Poster

AndiR's way - plus, if it's for a wall hanging, it will hang better if you cut the horizontal borders WOF and the vertical ones LOF. Not always possible with directional prints but worth it otherwise.

PS If I'm doing one of those skinny inner borders, I press both seams towards it as it makes it stand out a little. Otherwise in general I press towards the border like Andi says but this can change depending on how/if I plan to SITD. :-D
Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 AM

Actually, I sewed all around on all 3 of them --but, understand the strips for the borders were cut already. They were wof so I joined when needed re length. Each plain border got wider. I cut at top or end of width so no miter ends.
This was on a printed panel about 48"x60" but it will be longarmed as the group owns one.
Surprisingly , came out with NO ripples but I did not stretch.
these are charity quilts for canceer patients but we make them according to correct quilting methods.
For some reason the method just slipped my mind.