Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is a Crazy Quilt?

Blog Entries
    I see it mentioned over and over. "Crazy Quilt", Could someone explain and maybe post a picture of one?

A crazy quilt is a type of patchwork quilt with decorative embroidery stitches and sometimes beading joining the pieces. The pieces are cut out in crazy patterns out of all different types of material.

The following website gives a lesson on making crazy quilts, with a picture a a patch on the first page.
    http://www.caron-net.com/classes/cla.../clasmay1.html

Crazy quilts are so pretty. Someday I'm going to make one.

My first real quilt was a crazy quilt. My son had died and I couldn't throw away his clothes, many of the better pieces I gave to charity, but who wants used under pants. So I made a crazy quilt, I used his old shirts, pants and even his boxers. I got clothing from other family members. It was freeing to embroider the blocks. I copied photos of flowers and animals and went to Ebay for embroidery ideas. It took me about three years to finish, partly due to laziness in part due to the more I embroidered, the more it needed embroidery. It was very liberating way to create as anything goes. I used old lace, buttons, patches, charms and a multiude of different stiches. The quilt wasn't the beauty that I see on some of the blogs, but it was fun to make and it holds many fond memories.

Blog Entries
    CarolJ, do you have a picture of that quilt?
    It sounds fascinating.

Blog Entries
    Wow, love to see a photo! Please share with us.

Craftybear

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    My first real quilt was a crazy quilt. My son had died and I couldn't throw away his clothes, many of the better pieces I gave to charity, but who wants used under pants. So I made a crazy quilt, I used his old shirts, pants and even his boxers. I got clothing from other family members. It was freeing to embroider the blocks. I copied photos of flowers and animals and went to Ebay for embroidery ideas. It took me about three years to finish, partly due to laziness in part due to the more I embroidered, the more it needed embroidery. It was very liberating way to create as anything goes. I used old lace, buttons, patches, charms and a multiude of different stiches. The quilt wasn't the beauty that I see on some of the blogs, but it was fun to make and it holds many fond memories.

I gave it to my dad, he cried whe he got it. He is to go into hospice but so far he refuses (yeah!) He doesn't use the quilt, it just stays on the edge of the bed in the guest room. I'll try an get some photos, as I said, it's not a "wow", but I enjoyed creating it.