Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a Day!!! >

What a Day!!!

What a Day!!!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM

I have spent at least eight hours trying to get the tensions set right on my serger. I just can't seem to get the thread at the top right. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Just to make sure this is a tension issue, have you oiled and "defuzzed" your machine lately? Is the thread correctly threaded? Occasionally, I'll slip up and not pull it through the top tension hard enough for it to correctly thread into the grooves.

What does the stitching look like? Do the threads pull to the top or bottom, does the fabric "wave", etc. I suggest threading different colors to see which thread is doing the wrong thing. It is easy to get them mixed up in the end.

Then, I would start with everything set to 0 or "N". Make small adjustments up and down from there.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

Did you cut all the threads and start from scratch? Serger threads have to be threaded in a specific order. If you are trying to re-thread just a couple of them, they may end up in the wrong order.

My serger has a colored diagram inside the cover with the threads numbered in the order of threading. I loosen all the tension knobs when I re-thread, to make sure the thread gets seated correctly, then re-tighten after threading but before test sewing.

Edit: Oops! Sorry, I think I misread your problem!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Are your threads 'seated' in the tension discs? I always pull my thread back and forth when going through the disc (if you can) and I always thread with the pressure foot in the down position so I won't forget to put it down.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

I think the presser foot needs to be up when you thread. In the up position, tension on the discs is released so the thread can seat properly.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:19 PM

My thanks to all of your for your help. I followed all of your advise and it is now afternoon on Monday and my machine is finally sewing like it should. I bought my serger in 1991 and inherited my sewing machine from my mom who bought it in the 50's. I have decided to buy the Brother CS6000i and the Brother Serger 1034D and keep my older ones for spares. Hopefully, I won't have the stress and frustrations and can just enjoy sewing my quilts and other projects.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Google Goddess

glad you got it up and running

have fun sewing and quilting

Originally Posted by sasseyib
My thanks to all of your for your help. I followed all of your advise and it is now afternoon on Monday and my machine is finally sewing like it should. I bought my serger in 1991 and inherited my sewing machine from my mom who bought it in the 50's. I have decided to buy the Brother CS6000i and the Brother Serger 1034D and keep my older ones for spares. Hopefully, I won't have the stress and frustrations and can just enjoy sewing my quilts and other projects.