Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what design do you use >

what design do you use

what design do you use

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM

for a log cabin quilt. i have finished a scrap queen size quilt top and was wondering how to quilt it. the blocks are laid out in the straight furrow pattern 7 across and 8 down.
the last one i did was a lap top and my sister did SID but i think i want something more for this top. any ideas?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Be sure to post a picture once you finish.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ebony
for a log cabin quilt. i have finished a queen size quilt top and was wondering how to quilt it. the last one i did was a lap top and my sister did SID but i think i want something more for this top. any ideas?
I assume you mean how to place the blocks once completed? There are many, many patterns to use. What's more, you can look for 9 patch, 2 patch, 5 patch arrangements (another 100 or so choices) and set your log cabins accorcing to the half square triangles in the various quilt pattens.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Do you have a picture that you can post so we can give you suggestions?

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by ebony
for a log cabin quilt. i have finished a queen size quilt top and was wondering how to quilt it. the last one i did was a lap top and my sister did SID but i think i want something more for this top. any ideas?
I assume you mean how to place the blocks once completed? There are many, many patterns to use. What's more, you can look for 9 patch, 2 patch, 5 patch arrangements (another 100 or so choices) and set your log cabins accorcing to the half square triangles in the various quilt pattens.
I'm reading her post differently, I think she's asking how to quilt it (thus the stitch in the ditch comment). Maybe I'm wrong, but if not.... I've seen a lot of things done with log cabin blocks, part of it depends on how warm you want it to be, because heavier quilting = less warm quilt. I've seen some really nice work done with simple spirals on a log cabin, just have to line them up right.

Cheryl
Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 PM

Cheryl, your right i need ideas on how to 'quilt' it. since it is going 'back east' it will need to be a warm quilt---thus less quilting as it needs to be a warm quilt. thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Check out some of the ones Charismah quilted...they are different and very pretty!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....ah&sr=true&s=5
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Power Poster

when the top is very (linear)--straight lines like a log-cabin quite often an all-over curvy design really sets it off and adds some interesting movement to your quilt.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 AM

I like a spiderweb design in each block. It combines both linear and curved elements without running parallel to any of the piecing and is a fairly traditional quilting pattern for log cabin quilts.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 AM

Take a piece of clear plastic (like the kind your grandmother put over her dining room tablecloth), lay it over the quilt, and draw on it with dry erase markers. Its a good way to audition quilt designs. Don't like it? wipe off with an old piece of batting and draw again!