Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I just do? >

What did I just do?

What did I just do?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM

My niece and her mother are wanting me to make one of all her cheer tshirts, and do one of her 2 year old son's baby shirts. I told them that a friend of my mom's charged a woman $300 to do one. We'll see if that puts them off the idea. I've never made one, and have been advised not too. I love them, but my time is worth something and I won't do it for free if they insist they want one.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Kate View Post
I'm currently working on a quilt made out of Ohio Stars, and many of the points on the stars are cut off. I don't know why, because I thought my measuring and 1/4 stitching were fine. I was thinking about donating this quilt as an auction item in this fall's United Way appeal, but I don't know now, seeing the points cut off. I may be embarrassed to put this out there.
It's probably that pesky scant 1/4" seam that's causing the problem. I have problems with patterns that have points also. I donate my quilts to different organizations and I've only had one person point out that I lost my points and she was a quilt judge in her spare time, so we discussed the problem and how it's one of the most common problem with quilts put into competition for judging. After I reminded her it wasn't in a competition politely, she laughed and apologized.

Finish it, put it away for awhile. When the deadline comes for submitting it for the auction pull it back out and show it to some other quilters and non-quilters. It may not be as noticeable as you think. Or you say that you meant to do it that way, it's a design element.

Most people don't care if all the points are correct. Are the colors nice? Do they go with my couch? Will grandma like it for a birthday present? stuff like that.

If it's well constructed, won't fall apart after a couple of washings, I'd say go ahead and donate it.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM

I made one for my granddaughter for one of her many wedding showers. She had brought me a sack of shirts months before sooooo I finally did it. I didn't have any fusible interfacing so I cut large squares of freezer paper and ironed it on the inside of the shirt before I cut out my block. Then I kept the paper on until I sewed borders all around, then I just appliqued them on to a solid piece of muslin and free motion quilted between the blocks & in the borders. Used strips of fabric in orange & black (school colors) and it turned out ok. I will never do another one except for my other granddaughter (maybe) and I'll probably be too old by the time my grandsons are old enough to want a quilt.