Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the difference between these 2 Creative Grid rulers >

What is the difference between these 2 Creative Grid rulers

What is the difference between these 2 Creative Grid rulers

Old 02-08-2017, 03:27 AM

Default What is the difference between these 2 Creative Grid rulers

I am trying to determine which of these rulers/ tools should I buy: Creative Grids Corner Round up tool or the Creative Grids Curved Corner Cutter Ruler. I am not sure what the difference is between the two. Basically, I want to round corners of placemats, table runners, quilts, etc. I watched the videos on both and it seems the main difference is that the corner cutter can be used to create scallops. I can't tell if the curves are a different radius or not.
If you have either of these tools, any information you could share on how you use them would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help.
https://www.creativegridsusa.com/products/CGRATK1

Last edited by Murphy224; 02-08-2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: links didn't work properly
Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 AM
Administrator

each of the rulers offers a different selection of radius sizes.
it looks as though they are also designed to achieve different types of patches/blocks that involve curves.

unless you plan to do a lot of curved piecing in the future i wouldn't recommend either one.
to make rounded corners, all you really need is a round plate, a CD or DVD, or anything round that you can line up to the corners. just make sure it's the size you want and is hard enough to run a rotary cutter around.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:24 AM
JT

Or just mark it with the plate, etc. and cut with scissors.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 AM

I'm with PatriceJ. I use anything round in my house that will give me the curve I want for corners....pots, plates, glass (for small projects)...anything that is round. A pot lid is good. My girlfriend wanted circles on a quilt she was hand quilting. She used a big iron skillet. I haven't done scallops, but I bet I could measure out the length and find something in my house that would be the right round item. You can also, use one of those math compass tools for smaller circles and use a pin with a string and a pencil/pen for larger ones.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 AM

They are on the right track. A gal in our quilt guild used a pizza pan for hers because it was the right size.

HOWEVER (smiles) If Murphy is a neat-nick and likes her sewing space "just so", she may feel more comfortable with a ruler that can be displayed or stowed away neatly without having to go about the house searching for just the right thing.

Murphy, it's really up to you, but for me....I'd save the money and work with something on hand. And I'd tell Everyone...Hey! Did you know my crock pot lid is Perfect for >......."THIS"!?

Good luck
Old 02-08-2017, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

When I want circles I use a compass like we used in math. I have 2. You can find them usually in kits. they take up the size of an envelope and fit easily in a drawer or with you other rulers or pencils. I can make a 12" diameter circle with my compasses, the size of most large skillets. The most I paid was $7.99 for a kit that had a semi-circle eraser and the compass in it's own pouch/envelope.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 AM

I'd probably get the one for smaller diameters (1.5", 2" and 3") as I have a hard time holding down smaller items, and I'd probably cut myself trying to cut around a 1.5" circle. The template would give me more room to put my fingers a bit farther away from the cutting edge. I don't like using anything smaller than my 3.5" square for trimming or cutting.

The other does 4" and 5", and for those sizes and larger, I'd do OK using a plate or pot lid or some other round item out of the kitchen. I use to bake as a hobby, and have cake pans in 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10" and 12"

BTW - I switched from baking to quilting due to putting on too much weight - with quilting I don't end up eating my mistakes.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

These appear to include/add seam allowances.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:32 PM

I'd probably end up going with the Creative Grids Curved Corner Cutter Ruler because of the different radii provided.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 AM

Thanks ladies! I have been using plates, cups, lids etc to round things off but thought these two rulers might add something different to the process. Couldn't see for myself how the radius' were different....duh. Thank you Macybaby. So the round up tool has the 4 and 5" radius and the corner cutter has smaller radi. These may well fall into the " I think I might like them, but don't really NEED them category.
Will just leave them in my Amazon shopping cart until the urge passes.....lol or I find a need for a specific radius on something.