Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with 68 6" blocks? How do I set the blocks on point? >

What to do with 68 6" blocks? How do I set the blocks on point?

What to do with 68 6" blocks? How do I set the blocks on point?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Default What to do with 68 6" blocks? How do I set the blocks on point?

I've pieced 68 6" blocks, all different patterns. I followed a blog that started out to be 'The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt'. Due to copyright infringements, it was changed to a sew a long instead of the Farmers Wife. No templates were used as sizes were given to cut the pieces for the blocks. Five or six, 6" blocks were done each month for a year. There was no further instructions on what to do with the blocks. Sooo....here I am again, back at my favorite place with lots of questions hoping for answers. I would like to set them on point with sashing and corner stones. I've not done this before and do not have a pattern. Any suggestions on how this is done would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM

If you have done other sashings and cornerstones, then this will be no problem. Add the sashing on one side of each block then put them in rows on your design wall diagonally. One, then three, then five, etc. When you get to the center decrease by two. Add the setting triangles on the end of each row as you sew the rows together. Corner triangles last.
Here's a chart to show you how many blocks, sashings, etc.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...ing-chart.html It looks like with 68, you can go 6X6 or make 4 more and do 6X7.
Here's the one for cutting the setting triangles and corner triangles.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...nt-quilts.html

Find a picture of a on point quilt and keep it handy for reference. I know my fist one was confusing to me.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Maybe this will help
http://quiltville.blogspot.com.au/20...nt-quilts.html
and you put it together diagonally like this
http://quilting.about.com/od/babyqui...-Pattern_5.htm

I hope this helps a bit
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Thank you Irishrose and Woody. This is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

If you purchased the book, then you have full instructions as to how to put the quilts together.

Many of us did the FWS here on the QB as a quilt-along, doing two per week, or at your own speed.
The threads are all available to you. Others join in as they make the decision to work on the FWS, so you too can participate in the group.

You'll also find a wonderful thread with pictures of the finished FWS quilts if you are looking for inspiration from those that have gone before you (including mine).

Many of the same Ladies from the FWS, have also done the FWS Pony Club quilt, by the same author/designer, with several quilts completed. Mine is together, just needs its borders now.

It's a wonderful project and I encourage you to continue on from your 68, and make all 111!!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 PM

QuiltE your quilt is beautiful! Wow that is a lot of work. But I would think worth the effort. What a wonderful project.

I thought we (those of us following the blog I refered to) would end up with the FWS but because sizes were given instead of templates, things were changed and we could no longer do or call it the Farmers Wife. I think what I could do is get the book and see if I have done any of the blocks and if so continue on with the rest of them. If not, I'll add 4 more blocks as Irishrose suggested and make a lap quilt to enjoy. Thank you kindly for your help.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 PM

There is a book called farmers wife which I purchased and started going through . I started last year and go back when I need hand stitching. I decided to hand stitch as out forefathers did.
It is a double size when finished. All round are triangles with patterns you don't mention doing these. The blocks go together in any order but the border makes It.
Get the book and finish look forward to the picture.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
QuiltE your quilt is beautiful! Wow that is a lot of work. But I would think worth the effort. What a wonderful project.

I thought we (those of us following the blog I refered to) would end up with the FWS but because sizes were given instead of templates, things were changed and we could no longer do or call it the Farmers Wife. I think what I could do is get the book and see if I have done any of the blocks and if so continue on with the rest of them. If not, I'll add 4 more blocks as Irishrose suggested and make a lap quilt to enjoy. Thank you kindly for your help.
Thank you for your compliments. Many times I wasn't so sure how it would come together and whether I would like it for any more than that labour of love that it became. I have it hanging on the wall, so I can truly appreciate it, more than I ever could if on a bed.

I do not know the blog, though as you are discovering, the book truly is well worth the purchase. I can't imagine not having it, as there is so much more in there, than just the patterns. Likewise the PC book. And yes, I do need to get those borders on ... I just can't make up my mind as to whether I am going to stick with the pattern borders, or do a switch on them.

Good Luck!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
There is a book called farmers wife which I purchased and started going through . I started last year and go back when I need hand stitching. I decided to hand stitch as out forefathers did.
It is a double size when finished. All round are triangles with patterns you don't mention doing these. The blocks go together in any order but the border makes It.
Get the book and finish look forward to the picture.

Oh my, hand piecing! You are a brave soul or wonderfully talented. Best wishes to you on your endeavors with the FWS. What a great goal to have and accomplish.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 AM

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2009/10/...-tiny-squares/
Here is a neat idea for putting lots of same size blocks together quickly--whatever size.