Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What to do with fabric samples

At my work a lady gave me 5 books of fabric samples. I have an idea for some of the fabrics, like zippered cosmetic bags. But I don't know what else to make. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Since you didn't state what kind or how large the pieces are:

wallets, keychains, potholders, glasses cases, coasters, small wall hangings, cell phone carriers, book covers, book marks, mini-quilts, table runners, samplers, toss pillows, changing pads, stuffed toys, water bottle holders, trades/swaps.

That's what first came to mind. I'm sure there's a wealth of other practical suggestions to come. Whatever you make, please post a picture to share.

thank you for the ideas! They are all different sizes largest being about 20 inches by 20 inches. The smallest is about 4x5 inches. What great ideas. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr

wallets, keychains, potholders, glasses cases, coasters, small wall hangings, cell phone carriers, book covers, book marks, mini-quilts, table runners, samplers, toss pillows, changing pads, stuffed toys, water bottle holders, trades/swaps.

That's what first came to mind. I'm sure there's a wealth of other practical suggestions to come. Whatever you make, please post a picture to share.
    Boy does your mind work fast!!! Awesome ideas!! I thought maybe a purse!! :lol:

Pam
    I have lots I have put into a batik sampler quilt. Sometimes all you need is 2 sq inches.

Are the pieces 100% cotton or combination of cotton and polyester? Are they machine washable or dry clean?

I ask because a neighbor gave me a bunch of books and most were dry clean or polyester/polyester combo.

I took what I could use, soaked in water and Dawn detergent to get the paper off, and after drying, ironed and put away for future use.

The poly stuff may hold up pretty well for keychains, bookmarks, and such.
    Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by amy WI
    At my work a lady gave me 5 books of fabric samples. I have an idea for some of the fabrics, like zippered cosmetic bags. But I don't know what else to make. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.
    Amy, I buy a bag of these discontinued samples from a wholesale fabric distributor. I made my sweatshirt jacket out of batik samples, and have made any number of baby quilts out of the 4 x 5" pieces. just trim down to 4 inches sq. and start stitching. just think of it as a scrap quilt. Susie

I bet they would make a great scrappy quilt. What fun.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr

great ideas

Thanks everyone for the ideas and tips. I can't wait to get started. Pictures to come...:)