Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with handkerchiefs?

What to do with handkerchiefs?

A friend of mine has asked me if there is anything I can make using her mother's old handkerchiefs. Any ideas? Not sure on how many she is going to give me...
    thanks
    MA

how about backing them on stabilizer and sewing them together with buttons and or lace she might have had. Should make a super memory quilt.

I've seen hankies made into butterflies and umbrella ladies where the hanky was the skirt.

Banned
    There have been several books written about using hankies in quilts. Two patterns have been listed above.
    I once saw a pattern of Spanish Ladies where the skirts were handkerchiefs. Also using them in a "crazy patch" arrangement. Am sure you will find other ideas if you Google.

I've seen handkerchiefs appliqued onto solid background squares with sashing and the resulting quilt looked quite pretty.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Try Googling "handkerchief quilt", then click on "images" for ideas. Found this pattern that way:
    http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...l?prod_id=2475

Blog Entries
    There were a couple of hanky quilts pictured on this board recently..try searching here.

I saw one once where the hankies were cut in half from corner to corner and turned into a basket quilt. Very pretty. I have my grandma's old hankies and intend to do this some day.

Blog Entries
    Here is a freebie pattern for the butterfly pattern http://voices.yahoo.com/grandmas-but...48.html?cat=30
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Years ago, I saw an absolutely BEAUTIFUL quilt using hankies. It had the handkerchief appliqued onto a shelf or table, so that it looked like a tablecloth, then had a teacup embroidered looking like it was sitting on the shelf. It was at the Mountain Quiltfest. If I find a picture that I took of it, I'll post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast