Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a handmade wedding gift? >

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Just wanted to give another perspective on why a hand made item would be on a shelf or in a drawer. It may be too precious to the recipient to use. My mil made us an afghan as a wedding present, and we love it. We did use it on our bed. But my dh was concerned about preserving it. I too did not want anything adverse to happen to it so as kids came along we put it away on a shelf. And a few years later she passed away. It was too precious to risk losing. So it is tucked away not because we didn't like it, but because it will always be a piece of her and we don't want anything to happen to it.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:20 PM

I, too, was so glad you decided to keep it....when I make a quilt for someone specific, it is almost a prayer quilt. I am thinking of them the whole time and wanting the best in life for them.

I really liked a lot of the ideas here, too.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Since you are a quilter, you are aware of how much time and expense is involved in making a quilt. The same is true for crocheted afghans. I would never give away one of these just out of respect for the one who would take that much time and care on my behalf... Especially if that person is still alive. Like a previous contributor to this thread said, you never know how life is going to go.. in a few years your life may change, like ours did when a tornado ripped most of our belongings away, or there may be another family member come along in time that would treasure these family made things... if you really don't have room for them, offer them back to the maker.. but don't just give them away like they mean nothing. We are all different and what may hurt me terribly, may not hurt you... but consider the feelings are involved before you do anything with them. Feelings and family are always more important than the actual things involved.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 AM

I have a beautiful handmade doily that my grandmother made for me in the '70's when orange was a popular color. I have never liked orange, but every fall that doily adorns my table with fall decorations. I have other things that I can't part with, but still use on holidays.
Lots of emotions attatched to quilts and other handmade things. I made my MIL a quilt after enduring several years of offhanded comments from her and my SIL. Well she passed away in April, we found the quilt, unused in her home.
I worked for months on a quilt for my mom's 80th birthday and she told me I could give it to someone else as it is too big for her bed.
I don't know which is worse. frankly, I was hurt at both accounts. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but if she liked it she would find a way to use it. And if you bug someone about one, and you get it, by golly you should use it!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 AM

I make quilts that I want to make and in the patterns that I want to do.
That Said:
I take pictures of the quilts that I am willing to part with and send them to the person I wish to gift. I give all the details on the quilt color, size, backing and anything else that I can think of they might want to know.
I make a note that they are welcome to choose one of the quilts as my gift to them. A lot of the time I have to answer more questions to help them make their up their minds. I even had one Grandson want 2 of them as he could not make up his mind. He finaly settled on one. But reserved the other in case he got married and he wanted it as a wedding gift. I have tucked it away for him when needed.

I started doing it this way when my son came to visit and I was working on a quilt for him and it was up on the design wall. I asked him what he thought of it and he did not really like it. I could have sworn that he would love it.

Since I have started doing the pick one quilts I have had the pleasure of seeing several of them on display in homes. One is on the wall and my DIL calls it ART not Bed Cover. I love that lady.
Well that is my story. What we think they will like may not be.
Have a Great Day