Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I charge............ >

What do I charge............

What do I charge............

Old 05-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I ask for half the money up front (so I can buy the materials and my time is covered if they back out of the sale) and then they pay the other half when I'm done, when I deliver the quilt. Usually the buyer isn't serious and when they find out the price they back out.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
You need to research this, come up with the pricing formula that works for you, write up a contract, make sure you and customer agrees to the terms then insist on a 50% deposit before cutting a single piece of fabric.with the understanding the deposit is Not refundable and the balance is due at completion Before she gets the quilt. If you are going to sell your services you need to treat it as a business! I sell baby quilts for $150, queens can cost close to $1,000 . Don't sell your services short. If you are not ready to make the ( jump) into selling be honest and tell her you are not ready to take on such a project. If you want to do this write up your contract, get your deposit ($250-$300 at least if she wants a bed sized quilt). Good luck. Stating she already burned you once I'm surprised you would be considering this.
as always, ckcowl has excellent advice.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:27 PM

I had the exact same situation several years ago. My "customer" showed me an old quilt someone had made for her son many years earlier and she wanted to recreate it. She was very emphatic that she wanted to pay me; she did not expect me to work for free.

So I wrote up a very detailed estimate that broke everything down:

How much my hourly rate was.
How long it would take to design the applique.
How long it would take to cut the fabrics.
How long it would take to sew together.
How long it would take to quilt it.
How long it would take to bind it.
How much fabric it would take - top, backing, and binding - and how much it would cost.
Cost of batting.
I didn't bother with thread, because the quilt was small.

When I gave her the estimate, she was shocked. It was a crib-sized quilt, and my estimate was $200, which I thought very fair and quite cheap, for a handmade custom quilt. She looked carefully at the line items, and found one that bothered her. It was the fabric, which I had estimated to run about $100. She said "Oh, I figured you'd use your stash for that!" It was my turn to be shocked. I paid real money for my stash, just because it's on my shelf doesn't mean it's free!

Needless to say, that was as far as THAT project got.

Last edited by Peckish; 05-08-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

i had a friend walk around JA's with me, including putting into the cart, thread, needles for hand and machine and basting, marking pens ect. halfway thru, she said it would be to much. My shopping time counted too. The realize they can buy something at Walmart for much less and do so.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I think many people have no idea how much it costs to make a quilt - they base their ideas on cost from what they see in the stores - so maybe we should not be that hard on some of them?

I think the itemized listings for costs are a good idea - it's quite an eye-opener - even for those of us that "must make quilts" for the sake of making them.

I also think it is reasonable to charge "replacement costs" for materials if one uses items from one's own supplies.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Charge actual cost of materials plus

whatever is a fair wage for skilled labor for the time involved.

Thinking/designing, shopping, and fabric prep are all part of the time involved in addition to the actual cutting and sewing.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:29 AM

Maybe explain this is art, not work. People rarely commission artist to do private work like sitting for a portrait.....they think they know what they want, and they think they know what they are getting, but they are always surprised, and may not be happy with the artist interpretation, nor understand his pricing and what he is "worth". There are always hurt feelings and I would not jeopardize my friendships over my art.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:56 AM

Some people think that because this is a hobby, the actual work should be free. They seem to think they are doing you a favor by giving you something to do! Set a price so you still enjoy the process. You should not feel resentment when doing a hobby. That is not relaxing to me. Also feel free to say NO. A friend began talking about having her soriety tshirts made into a quilt and I quickly let her know this was not on my list of things to do. No hurt feelings either way.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 AM

A standard response was 3 times the cost of the material. Want to work in inflation? 5 times? There is a difference between an acquaintance, a friend and a family member. Some you can be up front with about the work, others won't believe a word you say!
Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 AM

I charge $250 for a baby quilt, $500 for a twin and $1000 for a queen or king. I do NOT have them buy the materials because they may decide to find a bargain somewhere and no telling what kind of junk you'll be working with. I don't like making quilts from the ground up...it takes so much time away from my longarm quilting, but if they are willing to pay my price, I will. I'm just as happy if the decide it's too expensive. My time is worth money not to mention my expertise. If you are good enough at your craft that people want what you make, you deserve to be paid fairly.