Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I charge............ >

What do I charge............

What do I charge............

Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 AM

THere are red flags everywhere...she doesn't quilt or sew, she backed out of a previous deal, just save yourself a lot of pain and hard feelings and do NOT do it. She is an acquaintance, you don't owe her anything. Be bold, tell her you don't want another back out, and she doesn't understand what it costs to make a quilt She can buy one of those that falls apart after the first wash at Walmart and you won't be blamed for anything.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 AM

A friend of mine who lives in Texas asked me to make a quilt for her....certain design and colors only. When I told her how much it cost me to make a king size quilt for my son and the time involved, she said she couldn't afford that, but could give me something....less than $50. The rest of the expense would be on me. People sometimes want something for nothing.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:47 AM

Yes, there are so many red flags on this one, it would be full of problems. Do you want to do it and do you have the time to do it? She reneged once, and probably thinks she can do so again. If it's custom, she'll figure you will just give it to her if she reneges when you've got the design done and the materials purchased. This person is a taker and a user with a lot of nerve. If you do want to do it, get $$ up front. Listen to ckcowl and the other experienced voices here.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:09 AM

I absolutely wouldn't do it. Advise her to take lessons at the quilt shop and make her own quilt.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Just remind her of the last time she decided she couldn't afford it. Can she afford this after showing her the figures/numbers and cost. Let her buy all the material right down to the needle and thread then let her know you would be charging for the labor. The more intricate the design the higher the price.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If the pyramid quilt was too expensive several years ago, does she think that prices have gone down? By all means, even if she is your oldest and dearest best friend, have her buy ALL materials: top, backing, thread and batting. Then write something up with the price for your labor. Both of you should sign the document and get a copy. It should also state that if she doesn't pay you for your labor, you keep the completed quilt. No refund on what she paid for the materials.

I agree with this suggestion. She's has already reneged on one quilt. She would probably do it again once she found out the cost.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 AM

My daughter has a friend whose father died. My daughter asked if I could make a quilt with the father's shirts. I said sure, but the cost would be a minimum of $300. I figured it was for fussy cutting the shirts, buying extra fabric and my time. Never heard about making that quilt since - and I was being cheap!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 AM

Sit down with her and explain what the materials will cost - and yes, she should purchase them so she has an investment in it. When you break down the actual costs for top, batting, backing, thread and (if you use it) basting spray, if she is still interested, explain the hours it will take to cut, sew top, make quilt and then do the quilting. If she is still agreeable, PUT IT IN WRITING. As has been said so many times on this board, people have no idea of the amount of product needed or the time involved in quiltmaking. If you break it down (and in the beginning you can approximate) they can see all the components. Most just think about the bedspread they see at Target for $69 and use that as their reference.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 AM

First of all, if you go forward with this project be sure to settle all money questions up front. It will take some of your time but you probably ought to price the materials yourself. Then set an amount for your labor. I feel I work slowly and wouldn't feel comfortable estimating how long it would take me so would probably come up with a total figure for labor.
She should pay for the materials up front and the balance on delivery. I wouldn't deliver until full payment is made.
Even though you view her as an acquaintance this is a business transaction and should be handled as such.
Good luck whatever your decision.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just remind her of the last time she decided she couldn't afford it. Can she afford this after showing her the figures/numbers and cost. Let her buy all the material right down to the needle and thread then let her know you would be charging for the labor. The more intricate the design the higher the price.
Peckish has a great list for breaking down the time involved. Go shopping with her to be sure she is buying quality materials. Expect half the labor cost up front, balance on completion, with promised date and perhaps a late penalty if she insists. As has been said before, PUT IT ALL IN WRITING and BOTH SIGN IT! This is a business contract!