Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I charge............ >

What do I charge............

What do I charge............

Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Nothing like getting burned on one of these deals to make one skittish to try again!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 PM

My personal experience is that unless the person is already an art collector (any art -- quilts, designer clothing, paintings, sculpture, etc) or is used to commissioning work, they are not going to be willing to pay anything remotely close to what your time is worth. I really wouldn't even bother to look at anything unless when I told her "I typically never receive less than $800 for any of my baby quilts" her response is "okay, that's probably less than what I would spend".

But that's me. I feel like if I want to be generous with my time (other than with family or my very closest friend), I will either donate a quilt outright or will sell the quilt for full price & donate part or all of the profits. I just don't get the mentality that somehow quiltmakers owe it to the world to work for slave wages. If the people who asked me to make them a quilt for $100-200 with 40-50 hours of handwork (and I am quite quick with hand applique & embroidery because I've been doing it for over 20 years) plus design time, light piecing & 1" custom quilting are likewise working for $2/hour or less, I wouldn't consider it so offensive a question. But it's usually the ones pulling down $50K salaries (i.e., $25/hour) that expect me to work for 1/10th what they earn.

So, as politely as I can manage, I tell them even I can't afford my quilts because they start at $800 and can take up to 200 hours to complete so they might want to consider learning to make their own ... if they seem interested, I'll give them a few websites to check out.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:52 AM

Be sure to take into consideration the wear and tear on your equipment__mat,ruler rotary cutter, machine,iron,etc. Even though you may already have everything, eventually it all has to be replaced,machine cleaned & serviced .
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Pure and simple------if she bailed on you once, I would not make it unless SHE purchased ALL supplies (fabric, top & backing, batting, thread, and etc.) PLUS COLLECT UP FRONT, AND an amount you come up with for labor for sewing AND quilting (don't forget your time for drawing up the pattern) ---- or the deal is off. Your signed contract can state JUST THAT. Hopefully, there won't be any cost for any unforeseen costs that wasn't included in the above contract; if so it may be less than being out the entire thing. IMHO, I WOULD NOT BE SATISFIED WITH ANY KIND OF DEPOSIT AMOUNT---full payment up front or nothing.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Look for the topic called wave my magic wand on this site. It's pretty new. Lots of experience there and the best advice is just learn to simply say no. No excuses, no waffling, just no. Now don't do that if you don't mind being taken advantage of again by this person.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Tell her the truth....she backed out of the other quilt ( and you got stuck with it) and you are not interested in that happening again. The prices have gone UP since a few years ago. No, I would not get involved in this project either. Why are you even entertaining this? She has a lot of nerve, IMHO.
sandy
Well said! Could not agree more. RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It was the fabric, which I had estimated to run about $100. She said "Oh, I figured you'd use your stash for that!"
How rude! People never cease to amaze me. It's like when young children tell their parents that they should just use a credit card so they can get all the Christmas presents they want for free. Perhaps you should have suggested that instead of $100 cash, you'd also accept $200 in Visa or MasterCard.

And here I was thinking that it was bad when people say silly things like "I thought you like quilting. Why would you charge so much to do something you enjoy?" ... well, I also enjoy having a roof over my head, food on the table and a working furnace in the wintertime. For some reason, I've yet to be able to convince my landlord, grocer or power company to accept payment in "love" ... or in your case, quilt shop receipts. Glad to hear that at least she left you alone after that.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 AM

Default How much do I charge

I was asked recently to make a baby quilt from a specific pattern. When I told her the cost of fabric for top and backing only she decided she would find a different gift to give. People who don't do quilting or any other form of needlework have no idea of the cost v or time involved.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 AM

Most people don't want to pay for a handmade custom quilt. They don't want a store bought quilt made in some foreign country, but don't want to pay for our hand made quilts. I recently had a gentleman who saw some of my finished quilts and quilt tops. Wanted one of the tops (to be finished) and one like one of my finished ones, He had asked what the handmade quilts sold for, I told him anywhere from $150.00 upwards to 600-800$ or more depending on size etc. He said that is what he wants. we negotiated a price for both quilts, he said he would get his deposit to me in a few days. It has been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from him. Luckily I didn't start on anything, so nothing wasted, just disappointing.