Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I charge............ >

What do I charge............

What do I charge............

Old 05-08-2016, 01:29 PM

Question What do I charge............

An acquaintance just asked me to design and make a quilt for her husband. All she has is a picture of an item that she wants made into a quilt. She asked me how much it would cost to do this???? ah,??
Thinking on my feet (literally) I told her I would have to see the picture and know what size quilt she wanted.
Do you think it would be wrong to ask her to purchase all the materials and then charge her an hourly rate or set a ballpark fee--I would be making this quilt from beginning to end. She is not a quilter or sewer and has no concept of how much time and material fees are involved with quilting.
Several years ago I was making a pyramid quilt and she said she would buy it from me as she wanted to give a family member a gift. When informed how much I wanted for it she reneged on the sale.
Has anyone else been asked to make a quilt from beginning to end???? How did you charge???????
Old 05-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e+making+quilt

Here's one recent thread until you get some
responses
Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

It is difficult for people who do not quilt understand the cost of material and labor. Most have seen quilts for sale on TV or in the stores made in China. If she balked on you once, I wouldn't give her a second chance. Just say you are too busy to take on any additional work.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:11 PM

Tell her the truth....she backed out of the other quilt ( and you got stuck with it) and you are not interested in that happening again. The prices have gone UP since a few years ago. No, I would not get involved in this project either. Why are you even entertaining this? She has a lot of nerve, IMHO.
sandy
Old 05-08-2016, 02:12 PM

I would base what you charge on how much you feel like you want to make it. Maybe that sounds silly, but if a few more dollars would make it easier for you to take it on then by all means ask for the extra money.

If she will purchase all of the materials, yes definitely go that way. That is a huge help (I have done it that way)
Plus if she is going to balk at the money you will find out early on when she is purchasing the materials

I have charged $10 an hour for a commisioned quilt - BUT the buyer put a cap on the total dollar. I guess I understood that. Maybe I would work slow or be lolly gagger to take advantage of the situation (but I would never do that)

Not sure $10 is enough, but it was tax free and its not my livelihood.

I don't think people realize how expensive a quilt can be. The fabric, time and quilting (if you send it out)

I still shock myself sometimes when I see how much money I spend on a quilt
Old 05-08-2016, 02:34 PM

I recall other members saying that once they gave a buyer the cost for material, batting, and thread, the buyer usually bailed right there, and they never reached a conversation about costs for sewing...
Old 05-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

If the pyramid quilt was too expensive several years ago, does she think that prices have gone down? By all means, even if she is your oldest and dearest best friend, have her buy ALL materials: top, backing, thread and batting. Then write something up with the price for your labor. Both of you should sign the document and get a copy. It should also state that if she doesn't pay you for your labor, you keep the completed quilt. No refund on what she paid for the materials.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:03 PM

I like what paperprincess suggests. I've had a few people interested in paying for a few quilts. Two have paid for all supplies, but not my time; my mom and a best friend. Others have asked. Once informed that a twin could cost $200-400 decided against it. All depends on who it is, how much I tell them my per hour rate is. If I'm not very fond of them, I charge them what I make per hour at work. I also inform them that it will take anywhere from 40-60 hours to complete.

I highly doubt that she'll follow through with you. Sometimes they quit ~1/2 way through purchasing material. Deciding that it's too expensive. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope you'll post a picture of any completed quilt! I'd love to hear back what you decide. Although I'm not on here much these days...
Old 05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

You need to research this, come up with the pricing formula that works for you, write up a contract, make sure you and customer agrees to the terms then insist on a 50% deposit before cutting a single piece of fabric.with the understanding the deposit is Not refundable and the balance is due at completion Before she gets the quilt. If you are going to sell your services you need to treat it as a business! I sell baby quilts for $150, queens can cost close to $1,000 . Don't sell your services short. If you are not ready to make the ( jump) into selling be honest and tell her you are not ready to take on such a project. If you want to do this write up your contract, get your deposit ($250-$300 at least if she wants a bed sized quilt). Good luck. Stating she already burned you once I'm surprised you would be considering this.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM

IF this is something you want to do, work up a detailed estimate, and don't scrimp on your estimations of the cost of things (i.e., don't figure the fabric will be on sale) or the time it will take to do it. Decide on an hourly amount, above minimum wage, and present her with the estimate. I'm betting she will not take you up on it. If she does, both of you sign the contract, which should specify terms and the amount of deposit.