Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I do with this panel? >

What do I do with this panel?

What do I do with this panel?

Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Default What do I do with this panel?

I bought this panel for a quilt for new baby girl in the family, due next month so I wanted something quick to do, the main panel is about 20" x "24 which I was going to put a border around, but then there is 4 x approx 9" squares, what do I do with those?
Attached Thumbnails lizzy-fay-panel.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 03:42 PM

Could you use them like (large) corner stones on sashing/borders?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM

You could put the squares together with lattice strips to make the backing of the quilt. Since you have 20" to work with horizontally, you could put a 2" (cut 2 1/2") vertical lattice strip between the two columns of squares. Since you have 24" to work with laterally, you could put a 2" (cut 2 1/2") horizontal lattice strip between the two rows.

This still leaves you with 4" more vertical inches. To fix this, you would do one of three things:
1. Trim 4" off the top of the original panel (front side of quilt), thus making the quilt square.
2. Add 2" (cut 2 1/2") borders to the top and bottom of the back.
3. Increase the size of the horizontal lattice strip to 6" (cut 6 1/2"). (This is my least favorite option.)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

both of the responses above were my first thoughts. using them for cornerstones, though, would make a very big baby quilt. cute panel
Old 02-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
You could put the squares together with lattice strips to make the backing of the quilt. Since you have 20" to work with horizontally, you could put a 2" (cut 2 1/2") vertical lattice strip between the two columns of squares. Since you have 24" to work with laterally, you could put a 2" (cut 2 1/2") horizontal lattice strip between the two rows.

This still leaves you with 4" more vertical inches. To fix this, you would do one of three things:
1. Trim 4" off the top of the original panel (front side of quilt), thus making the quilt square.
2. Add 2" (cut 2 1/2") borders to the top and bottom of the back.
3. Increase the size of the horizontal lattice strip to 6" (cut 6 1/2"). (This is my least favorite option.)
I like this idea. You'd have a double-sided quilt and if is used as a tummy quilt, baby would have more to look at.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 PM

I'd use them as cornerstones, as suggested, but I'd have to gussy it up a bit. I'd take inspiration from the images and add some appliqued vines with heart-shaped leaves and flowers in the borders.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Leave the squares as they are and make a double sided quilt. Square or diagonals for quilting lines. Second thought diagonals. Using squares as cornerstones as been mentioned.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 AM

There is a pattern called Sidelights which is designed for panels
https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...FdgYgQodaN4GGg

Your smaller squares could be used for some of the lights and some blenders or coordinating fabric for the rest
Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Usually, I would go to the fabric manufacturers website to see what sample they made with the fabric. Those squares are very large and I might just use them for the backing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=baby...HZ7rAREQsAQIQg
Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 AM

Will there be a dresser surface in the baby's room? Maybe create a "table runner" for use there. A second little quilt is always an option.