Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with my old machine? >

What to do with my old machine?

What to do with my old machine?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:03 PM

Default What to do with my old machine?

About 2 years ago, my 12 year old Viking Rose (sewing and embroidery) machine started acting up--uneven stitches, and some of the touch pad buttons didn't work. Took it in to a dealer and had it tuned up, so now it sews OK, but I'm still missing the function of about half-dozen touch-buttons (these allow various stitches, access to embroidery patterns and built in lettering, etc.)

It seems it would cost a couple to several hundred dollars (at least) to have the touch-pad replaced, and still no guarantee it would fix everything.

Meanwhile, I bought a new, fancy Brother machine sewing/quilting machine (VQ3000) that I like a lot, and a relatively inexpensive Brother embroidery machine, which I've used mostly for embroidering on towels and making quilt labels.

I didn't trade in the Rose when I got the Brother. Because of a sale already in progress, I got a good deal and the dealer couldn't offer me much for the diseased Rose. But it and its accessories (like an old Amazing Box, and ancient software) are taking up space...and I don't use it...

Would you keep it?
Donate it to Goodwill or such? (now-days they want things in good working order and I can't truly say that it is, though what stitches it DOES sew are fine.)
Put it on Craigslist "as is"?
Take it to the dump?
Or...???

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hallie in NM
Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 PM

Personally I wouldn't keep it. I'd donate it somewhere. Someone will be happy to have it. When I first moved out, I had a pretty bad machine. It had tension problems and I had to wind the bobbins by hand, but I got it for $10 and I was happy to have it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-19-2015 at 04:00 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 PM

I am not going to be any help because I would just stick it in the bottom of a closet and keep it. You never need when you might need a back up machine, even if you already have two working machines. The machine sounds like it works well enough for a back up.

Dina
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM

I would probably list it on Craigslist, or such, as a free machine, explaining what it needs.

Or, I would put it in the attic and save it for use later as a "trade-in".
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Are you sure about the "good working order" thing with Goodwill? Maybe call and ask.

In the past I have seen non-working sewing machines at Goodwill and thrift shops. It's just a good idea to place a piece of painter's tape on them saying "non-working" or "parts machine". In the case of your Rose, though, you could put on the tape that it works but that half a dozen of the buttons do not work. I have seen these types of machine sell for anything from $5 (for an old "parts only" machine) to $30 (which is what I think your Rose would fetch in a thrift sop, even with several buttons not working).
Old 01-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a back up machine? If not I would keep it for when your other machine has to go to the shop.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 PM

Call some sewing repair shops and see if they would like to buy it for parts.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 AM

I, too, would keep it for a back up machine. You just never know. That's what I did with my old White after purchasing my Viking Platinum. Then I managed to snag a FW. The White sewed fine, just was a little finicky with some fabrics. Neighbor of a friend was looking for a machine for some home dec projects. Since I now had another backup, the White went to her for a small fee. She was happy enough with it's abilities/limitations. Not sure that she's really ever used it though. She's kind of an impulse person.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
I would probably list it on Craigslist, or such, as a free machine, explaining what it needs.

Or, I would put it in the attic and save it for use later as a "trade-in".
I too would list it on Craigs list as is
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I don't see the need to keep anything I don't need or want. Donate it and forget it.