Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what to do with a old quilt that might have potential to run

I made this quilt about twenty years ago without washing the fabric before I made it.. It was my first quilt, and I didn't know better.. Now I am making a scrap quilt with the left overs, and noticed that the pieces weren't washed, and some of them ran while I was ironing them.. What can I do to seal the colors in.. I would be heart broken if I ruined it..
    Socrates is a little tired.. He's been through an earth quake.
    Barri
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You may have noticed the running while ironing it, but you cannot tell from the picture. :thumbup:

Use Shout color catchers, with the laundry detergent, may need two, they collect the colors that bleed to keep them off the quilt.

I totally agree with Jingle. I made a square for a competition. Requirements were that it had to be red,white and blue and the fabrics had to be washed. I was not wanting to wash small pieces, so, I did my block. Put the block in very hot water in my large glass measuring pitcher with 2 Shout color catchers and put this in the microwave for 2 minutes. You should have seen the sheets and the water. The red blead out and the white was white as white could be. Made a believer out of me. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Shout color catchers really do work! :D :D

I have read that using Synthrapol will fix the color. You can google it for more info. I bought some at prochemical.com
    Have not used it yet, but plan to soon.

Blog Entries
    I have found Zout liquid to do the trick on colors that have ran. Zout is available in the laundry aisle of your grocery. Outline the offending squares with a thin line of liquid and throw the quilt in the wash--a quick wash will do the trick. Even a soak in the tub will work. Then dry as usual. It works-just did it a couple of days ago.