Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do? opinions please >

what to do? opinions please

what to do? opinions please

Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have decided to finish the top but change out the border fabric (thankfully not sewn on yet). That will help. I don't have the fabric I want, so while waiting for that I have started blocks for another quilt that I like better (I think). DH says that I am overthinking this and he is probably right. Again thanks for all the good ideas.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 AM

You said the quilt is a gift, yet you said the colors are "not you", well are the colors o.k. for whoever is receiving the quilt as a gift? If it were me, and was that close to finishing it I definitely would go ahead an finish it, and show the recipient the finished quilt, unless it is to be a surprise, the recipient may just love it, especially since you have made it for them. If they don't seem to like it, then let them know you will make them another one. Who chose the colors to begin with you or someone else. without seeing a pic. of it, this is a tough question or me to really consider.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCindyLou View Post
The problem is all of the above. The colors are not "me" but it is "them" so that's ok - thus the possible recycle. There is really nothing technically wrong with the quilt - thus the idea to not waste the top. This quilt is just not right for this gift. I'm not being too hard on myself either, the intended would be very appreciative, but I realize now that this is not them at all.
It's probably perfect for them. I'm working on one right now for someone else, I hate it, but when I look at it through their eyes its nice. Go ahead and finish it, it is going to be great.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 AM

Finish it as it is. You can still make another for the intended recipient. Use this one for a picnic quilt, or just to cover up with for a nap. If you really can't stand it at all, donate it. There are so many uses for a quilt that is not what you intended it to be. Remember that a quilt is meant to keep someone warm, the decorative (pretty) part is an added feature. Grandmothers made quilts from scraps of fabric left over from sewing clothing. Sometimes we just get to "arty" and forget the original purpose of a quilt. Consider it "tuition" for a learning experience. If you have kids or grandkids you won't have any problem with getting rid of it!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:18 AM

I have started and finished many a quilt that turned out to be 'not me'. The persons I gave the quilts to however loved them and many were copied after I showed them to others. I would suggest you finish the quilt.
'
Old 07-08-2014, 04:46 AM

I think you should go ahead and finish the quilt. It really can come to life with the quilting. If you still don't like it you can save it or donate it for another purpose.

Susan
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I'm with everyone else. I would finish it up and look at the whole quilt and see f it looks different. Sometimes it is hard to see past a certain point. Finishing usually looks differently. I have had that with a few quilts, the finished quilt has surprised me and I end up liking it.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Sounds to me like you have a lot of open "space" areas. I am sure if you quilt those spots very nicely with a pattern of some sort that goes with the theme, It will be beautiful. No such thing as an ugly quilt
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 AM

I've added applique to blocks that left me wondering why I did what I did and it usually works out just fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How about adding an appliqué or fracturing the quilt top to change it?
Okay, now you've gone and done it. What is "fracturing?" I am an avid follower of your posts as you seem to know the answers when all fails and for that I thank you profusely.