Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what to do with scraps

what to do with scraps

I have been quilting for just a little over a year now and I cannot believe the large box of left over material that I have accumulated. Does anyone really use left overs to make quilts? Do you cut strips or 5" blocks? I don't know where to start - any hints will be greatlty appreciated.
    Thanks
    NormaBeth
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

do a search for 'scrap therapy' there are tutorials for (organizing) your scraps into usable pieces- also there are TONS of books on scrap quilts-
    many many people use scraps---all the time---some people do not care for scrap quilts and choose to pass on their scraps to others- there are a number of groups who love and put to good use other's scraps (such as the senior center) there are small sewing groups of people who do not have much money- but have a desire to learn- who also appreciate donations- and scout & 4-H groups.
    start with looking at scrap quilt books/patterns and decide if you are interested- then check out the scrap therapy tutorials- which show you how to cut and organize your scraps- if you decide you have no interest (or need) of all your scraps-pass them on
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Think outside the box, er block. Scrap quilt, applique, confetti. I don't cut fabric until I know exactly what I will do with it. And the possibilities are endless. Happy quilting.
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

I cut mine into 5" squares, 10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. These are the common pre-cut sizes and You can find lots of patterns that use them.
    Living a 1/4" from the edge

Quote Originally Posted by kheliwud View Post
    I cut mine into 5" squares, 10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. These are the common pre-cut sizes and You can find lots of patterns that use them.
    I usually do mine in approximately those sizes as well.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by kheliwud View Post
    This is what I do too, anything that isn't big enough I cut into 2 1/2" squares with my Accuquilt. I really going through the scraps, brings back memories of the projects.

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of beautiul patterns that require small pieces of lots of different fabrics. Here is one of my DH's. he loves just sewing 2 1/2 inch blocks together. I like simple, yet complicated looking patterns.Name:  100_0739.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  53.1 KB
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

Almost all my quilts are scrappy, a log cabin is a great pattern to use them on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just bought a book on Scrap Therapy and it sugests 5", 3 1/2", and 2" squares. Has some very pretty patterns in it using these sizes. Been working on that. Little teeny peices I put in a plastic bag and save for stuffing toys etc. I have just cut a big square denim pillow for my cats and I'm using these scraps to fill it. Waste not want not as they say!

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter specializes in scrap quilting. She has a few books and lots of free patterns on her website. You will no doubt find something inspirational there!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast