Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a very old postage stamp quilt top? >

What to do with a very old postage stamp quilt top?

What to do with a very old postage stamp quilt top?

Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Default What to do with a very old postage stamp quilt top?

My sister-in-law has a postage stamp quilt top made by a Great, Great Grandmother of her husband. She estimates it to be made in the late 1880's. She doesn't know what to do with it. Should she add a backing, batting and have it quilted? It is hand pieced I think. Right now she just has it folded in a cedar chest. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 AM

I have an old quilt made by my grandmother. I'm going to fix the edges and have it quilted. IMHO it is better to have it quilted and displayed than to sit in a chest and never be seen. She might want to use pure cotton or wool batting just to "save" the historical element.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

She should take it out of the cedar chest and refold it along different lines. Continuous contact with wood can result in deterioration of the fabrics, as the acid present in all wood products (except those that have been treated to remove acid so they are "archival" quality) will gradually eat the fabric fibers. Older cedar chests have dried out more and may be much slower to damage fabric than newer wood, but it can still be a problem. The quilt top can still be stored in the cedar chest, but should be encased in a pillowcase to prevent direct contact of the quilt top with the wood.

I would Google to find local quilt guilds. With many guilds, you could come as a guest and join in the "Show and Tell" part of a meeting to explain you are looking for a hand quilter to finish the quilt. I would finish the top, but only with hand quilting and only by someone experienced in hand quilting. The hand quilter would need to be paid, of course, but for a top like this I think it could be well worth the cost.

Edit: Forgot to add, I would probably use a Hobbs wool batting. This not only makes quilting easier, but provides an all-over nice quality to a vintage quilt top like this one. And include a sewn-in label with its history!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:50 PM

If you're unsure, maybe a certified quilt appraiser (if you have access to one) could offer advice on the best way to handle the top. He/she could also verify the date of the fabrics in it. Sounds like you have a real treasure there!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

You might also call around to museums to see if you can find a textiles conservator. Would help with dating the top, value, and advice about what to do with it.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:19 PM

We have a quilt historian in our LQS and many times she will advise people to do nothing because it can actually destroy the fibers in the quilt. Best to get some expert advice before proceeding.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deanneellen View Post
We have a quilt historian in our LQS and many times she will advise people to do nothing because it can actually destroy the fibers in the quilt. Best to get some expert advice before proceeding.
That is very interesting. I find that tops that are quilted have a better chance at a long life than surviving as just a top. I bought a quilt top from my Great Aunt of my Grandmother's and I had her half sister, my Great Aunt Maude's quilting group hand quilt it. Never regretted it. It wasn't the best hand pieced quilt but I have treasure it since I received it. I would NOT have chosen to back it in the orange fabric.
Attached Thumbnails antique-beth-star-quilt.jpg