Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with fat quarters?

lue
    I've always bought yardage and never fat quarters. I get the concept of color matching when I buy them in sets but how many fat quarters does it take to make a quilt? Is it more or less expensive to buy fat quarters than yardage? Thanks for helping me.

Fat quarters are a great way to pick up a variety of fabrics when you only want a little bit of each. But they do cost more when you calculate a yardage price. You are paying someone to cut the fabric into small pieces.

I bought fat quarters for a recent quilt because I wanted a huge variety of fabrics and didn't want a lot of left overs.

Browse the fat quarter friendly books at your quilt shop or book store. I've used them to fill in when I'm making scrap quilts and need more of some of the colors.

I don't use them that often. I prefer yardage. That being said, a couple of my favorite patterns call for fat quarters and I like a lot of different fabrics in my quilts. I just prefer to buy yardage. Many fat quarter patterns can be more efficiently cut from 1/4 yard, but not all.

Maybe they're a beginners thing when you're unsure about choice of colours? I buy yardage now as FQs are never enough when looking for fabric for a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH
    Maybe they're a beginners thing when you're unsure about choice of colours? I buy yardage now as FQs are never enough when looking for fabric for a quilt.
    I have found too many times that I fall in love with a fabric and then I can't find any more than just a fat quarter!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I don't use them that often. I prefer yardage. That being said, a couple of my favorite patterns call for fat quarters and I like a lot of different fabrics in my quilts. I just prefer to buy yardage. Many fat quarter patterns can be more efficiently cut from 1/4 yard, but not all.
    I agree with you on this :lol:

I used to not be a fan of fat quarters until the Turning 20 books by Tricia Cribbs came out. Now I love them and collect them just like trinkets for a bracelet. However, that being said, not all shops or stores cut accurate fat quarters. That is the lesson I have learned. I do enjoy taking 9 fat quarters and make a lap throw or blanket out of them. I end up with 50" square blanket and it is perfect for Project Linus.

If you like quilts with many fabrics and colors fat quarters are great. Just about all quilts I make are based on fat quarters. I have a stash of fat quarters that I draw from when I plan a quilt. Then I use about 1 1/4 yard for a border that goes with the fat quarters. I realy like scrappy quilts.

Here is a quilt made with Australian fabric fat quarters.
    Name:  Attachment-119637.jpe
Views: 488
Size:  156.5 KB

Our quilt shop is great. She will cut any fabric to a fat quarter for us for the same price as a 1/4 yd. so that way we end up paying the same as a yard over all.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast