Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do to get motivated? >

What do you do to get motivated?

What do you do to get motivated?

Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I like cutting scraps into usable strips or squares. It's relaxing when I don't feel like sewing.

I also look at my Pinterest pages, where I have stored loads of quilting patterns and ideas. I usually forget what I put there, so looking at them again is great motivation to get the quilting juices flowing. If you like, I will be happy to share my boards with you... they are here:
https://www.pinterest.com/bonbonevans/
I have many quilting and sewing boards, as well as knitting and crochet. You can also look at the boards of the many people I am following. Pinterest is endless inspiration and ideas.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:01 AM

Periodically I hit a real slump, and nothing seems to get me in the right mood. One thing I do is force myself to reorganize one bit of my sewing stuff. Be it scraps, cutting table , tools something that really needs some attention. Usually after tackling some task I have put off , I am motivated to work in my space again.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 AM

When I really need the motivation to sew/quilt I often find there is a reason. If I force it then I am really not satisfied with the results and it takes me much longer than otherwise. There is a reason why I listen to my 'body/mind' in such things.
Luckily there are other options available. Looking at quilt books or magazines Reading a book. and so much more.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 AM

I just don't let it bug me to lose my sewing mojo from time to time. Why should it? It's a hobby. I just went through a dry spell and told myself, "this, too, shall pass'" We were starting a new business, my mom is ill, we are remodeling the kitchen, my sister is going through a divorce, and we had a loooong winter like most of the country. Those things zapped my energy for creative work. I decided to deal with clutter in my sewing room that was also zapping my creativity. I regained my mojo at 5:55 this morning, as a matter of fact! I got up and started adding 2.5 inch random length scraps to my ongoing huge beach quilt. That's what I do when I just want to sew mindlessly.

I feel energized again, even though the only things that have changed are the weather (that's a huge mood lifter!!!) and my sewing room environment.

Bottom line: don't worry about it. It'll come back.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:54 AM

I think I figured out what the problem is.

I need to cut more 1.5" squares and hate cutting sometimes...
Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 PM

Nothing wrong with taking a break! Read a book or watch a good movie or take a nap. I find if I am not 'in the mood' I do as much ripping as sewing. With that huge of a project you need to take time off. If you love want you do, you will get back to it refreshed & ready.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I have lost my mojo a lot over the years. It has always come back. For me it falls into " don't sweat the small stuff". When it becomes a "have to" vs a"want to" it's not fun anymore
Old 05-17-2015, 12:52 PM
yel

stitchnripper i get that have to/ want to thing all the time ....if it is a hobby than it should always be a want to .......sometime other things and other people get in the way .....
Old 05-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I don't worry about it.

I don't get paid to do it.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 PM

I get told that the non quilting stuff I've been sewing is, ummmmm, not quite what was expected. DD asked me to sew curtains for the DGDs' rooms, complete with blackout lining. I found some really sweet primary striped fabric for the youngest (3 yrs old) and got some creme with green vines and purple leaves for the older (6 yrs old--back story Mommy let her pick the paint for her bedroom and it is a DEEP PURPLE!!!! I thought the curtain fabric would lighten the room a tad but Mommy thought the fabric pattern was 'not child oriented'. Doesn't help that this DGD wanted pink and purple flowers on her curtains)

Okay, back to getting into the swing of things--I found a piece of creme backing in my stash. I started playing with simple flower shapes. Outcome--DGD will get her pink and purple AND yellow and blue and orange and any other colour I can make, flower appliqued curtains. It is not going to be a quilt but I think I got my mojo back!! Plus I'm having fun!!