Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do to get motivated? >

What do you do to get motivated?

What do you do to get motivated?

Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Default What do you do to get motivated?

I haven't been sewing much the last few weeks. I had many other obligations to fulfill. Got kind of sick and down in the back for a while and still have other things nagging me so I don't even feel like doing a little bit here and there even though I'm feeling better now

Maybe I need to make a shirt or a zipper pouch or something

I'm still kind of meh...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:33 AM

I've been the same. Some weird health stuff has kept me from doing a lot of things I'd like to be doing. I've been very run down and so spend a lot of time resting and reading. Work seems to just wear me out right now and I have no energy left for anything else. I've decided to start with a purse that I've been wanting to make. I've made the pattern before so it shouldn't be too hard. I've just been having a hard time coming up with ideas and energy to do anything.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Dresi, I got through smaller spurts of time when I just don't feel like sewing. When it happens I get out my collection of quilt magazines or books and start going through them to decide "should they stay or should they go". I often times find inspiration in doing so and it helps me weed out some of the stuff I am not going to ever use. I pass those on to quilting friends. Another non sewing inspiration is sorting through my fabric stash. When I am pulling fabrics for a potential project I don't always keep my stash organized tossing what I've chosen not to use on top of a pile instead of where it belongs. Sorting fabric, books and magazines puts me back in the groove to get back to sewing. Another option is getting together with my mini group of friends to sew or heading to a quilt show. Lots of them going on this time of year and you are most certainly to get inspired at a quilt show. Get together with those who "speak your quilting language". You'll be back to sewing in no time!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I switch projects. I am working on making some Bible Bags for my friend who will be going on a missionary trip to the Philippines again. Sometimes you need relief from the larger more complicated quilting projects.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes when I don't feel like a big project, I will do a bit of hand work in my comfy chair. A crochet project or a embroidery red work project.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I've been going through some family mental stress lately. My motivation has been low but I go in my sewing room anyway. I may not do anything but sort magazines and books but I do something sewing related. I do a lot of hexie sewing when I feel unmotivated.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Right now my sewing room is slowly becoming a little more organized. I see all these ideas for organization and become overwhelmed and just walk out of the room. I have to go in every day because I do my hair in there. I keep things covered so they don't get spray and also to keep from getting dusty. but I know what's underneath the covers. My work has been keeping me busy and it can cause some stress. So I just get on the board. Landlord has been pondering selling the house and that's stressful too.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Same here.... I unexpectantly lost a dear friend. The weeds are taking over the flowers and so many things seem to be waiting for me.
I have been participating in the 2015 block of the month here on the quilting board, going to try to do the May block this afternoon. Perhaps that will give me a sense of accomplishment and I can get out of this rut.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Maybe I'm just a tad burned out on my daughter's quilt. I started it in April and I'm not even halfway done with piecing the blocks. I have 15 blocks done and need 20 more

It's a pixelated heart that I made from a gif I found in google images

It's pinks and reds on a black background. Each block has 289 1 1/2" squares in it

I went to Hancock's yesterday to pick up some sewing machine oil and looked around for some different fabric thinking it would launch me out of the doldrums but nothing spoke to me...

Maybe I'll organize my stuff

I tried giving my sewing machines a spa day last week-sometimes that helps

I think I just have to make myself get started and maybe I'll find my way back into the groove.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 AM

I just go in my sewing room and sort scraps, or put fabrics and tools away, I might vacuume or dust or leaf trough a pattern or two. If the mood strikes I sew a block for an ongoing project, even if I don't actually do any sewing I've straightened up a bit or made some progress on the ever growing scrap pile.