Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you do with new fabric? >
  • What do you do with new fabric?

• What do you do with new fabric?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I fondle it, gaze at it lovingly, find fabric to go with it, take pictures to show my friends the wonderful new fabric, occasionally I actually use, but usually it goes into my stash.. I will take it out once in a while and smile at it, trying to remember just what in the heck I was planning to do with it!
    I do the same! I am a fabric petter!
    Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 AM

I wash, dry in dryer (no fabric softner or sheets) iron, fold and put with rest of fabric. Then the fabric is ready to use.
    Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 AM

I never pre-wash the fabric as I always use fabric from the same company. When I buy fabric, it is going to be cut immediately and sewn into a quilt. The left overs go into my stash bags (2 grocery bags) where they are used for table runners, place-mats, etc. The only fabric I buy that isn't used immediately are fat quarters that match/replace the fabric in my stash.
    Old 10-17-2016, 05:32 PM
    CGS

New to this and sorry to be so stupid, but what the heck is a comic board??
    Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CGS
    New to this and sorry to be so stupid, but what the heck is a comic board??
    Comic book boards are cardboard boards used by comic book collectors to keep their comics from getting bent. They're a convenient size for wrapping fabric around. https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Comic-S...ic+book+boards
    Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 AM

I buy what I love, if not for a project, it will just sit on my shelf (organized by color) until I need it. I DO NOT wash my fabric. I used to years ago but really, there is not much shrinkage in fabric anymore. I will test for bleeding (if it looks like it might) but really haven't had many problems with fabric bleeding. I like how crisp and bright the fabric is without washing and I find it much easier to work with right off the bolt. Its really personal preference but washing and ironing is just too much work before sewing the quilt.
    Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie
    I buy what I love, if not for a project, it will just sit on my shelf (organized by color) until I need it. I DO NOT wash my fabric. I used to years ago but really, there is not much shrinkage in fabric anymore. I will test for bleeding (if it looks like it might) but really haven't had many problems with fabric bleeding. I like how crisp and bright the fabric is without washing and I find it much easier to work with right off the bolt. Its really personal preference but washing and ironing is just too much work before sewing the quilt.
    I agree! I love the crispness of fabric right off the bolt!!
    Old 10-19-2016, 02:30 PM

I just add it to the collection until I need it. Never wash, but will iron when and if needed to get good cuts. Been quilting for about 5 years, made plenty of them and have never had a problem. Tempting fate maybe. I will wash and dry if I intend to make garments - that's different. I do almost always buy known brands.