Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? >

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM

I do quilts for charity, but never 20 in a month. That has to be some type of marathon record. I am doing my first quilt for kids, and I am going to top quilt it myself, it is small enough to fit in the throat of my machine. It has taken me a month, it is ready to be quilted, and bound. I have the next one planned, I bought the fabric at Hancocks on their 50% off racks, I check for good quality before I buy. There are lots of sites for donating pillowcases, does your area have a women's safe house shelter? If so I would call them and see if they would accept childrens pillow cases. Most times the kids come without anything.

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I feel horrible. I have never given a quilt to charity. I give them to family only, and to my husband. I buy the expensive fabric and have them LA quilted and I don't know if I could spend that much money on a quilt and then give it to charity. That would be like $250. Am I horrible??? I don't machine quilt, so I can't defray the cost of the quilt by doing it myself. I give them as Christmas, Anniversary, birthday, etc. gifts. I just don't know if I could donate one. Now I feel bad. I read how all of you donate so many of your quilts. 20 a month? I don't make that many in a year. I feel guilty for not donating. Maybe I could make pillowcases and donate them, but I just can't do a $250 quilt.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Jim

we gift them all ...Only have 1 that I made that is actually ours..it was my first one that I gave to my wife over 18 years ago. My kids and grandkids get them and friends and charities get them...And I like it that way
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Pretty much all of the above, except the person who lost some in a divorce. Still hanging with #1 husband. He's a model railroader, so he doesn't even ask. I don't ask what he's going to do with the gazillion model RR cars stored in dressers the kids left empty, and elsewhere in the house. Here's something you might say sweetly, "Honey, when I'm gone you can meet girls and invite them home to see your quilt collection, since you don't have any etchings!" Heeheehee
Oh my word... I hadn't heard or thought about "etchings" in forever! My Mother used to (teasingly) warn me about boys & their etchings! LOL! Thanks for that laugh!

My DH has a zillion hobbies & we have the same "agreement" you do.