Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do on a Shop Hop? >

What do you do on a Shop Hop?

What do you do on a Shop Hop?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:05 PM

I have never been on a Shop Hop but there is one being advertised here through the LQS I use.

Having never been on one, what do you do on one? How do you go from shop to shop? Basically, any information you would share with me about them, what to do, are they worth it, are they fun, are you supposed to buy something in every store, protocol, etiquette, etc.

Thanks!
Tara
Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Cyn

I'll be watching this one cause I have the same questions :) Thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Are you talking about the shop hop on line or one where you go to real stores?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Well, the one that is advertised though my LQS is a physical shop one but I would be interested in hearing about the virtual shop hops too.

I have heard people here mention that they have been on one but never any details. I like details! LOL

Tara
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM

You can go to Fabshop.com and join the one online. It's fun, and you can register for monthly prizes. Several members on the board have mentioned that they have won
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM

I have never done one on line. Just into the 15 shops on our shop tour. Go into every store, get your "passport" stamped (good Idea to have address labels for the drawing baskets)
Pick up any patterns or charms or whatever they are giving out, shop the store, sample the snacks then hop in the car and go to the next one. Oh, and take along a couple of friends. We had 9 people on our hop in June, had a wonderful time. Spent way too much money on some way too beautiful fabric!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM

I have been on several. The were each a day trip where we took a bus and went to 2 or 3 different shops. Once there we each just walk around and you can buy from the shop if you desire. Some people purchase a lot, others do not buy at all. Sometimes the shop will give a demo and offer special deals. On the bus, the guild or group that organized the trip will often provide snacks, drinks, and door prizes. We go to a restaurant for our lunch, which sometimes is included in the price of the trip, and other times each person pays their own.
Basically, it is just a fun way to go to a quilt shop with other quilters.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM

I go to the one here every year. There are 12 shops this year all over our 'valley'. At each of the shops they have something that they are doing a demo on. That is their 'special' item just at their shop. They also have a quilt that they have all done, sometimes it is a mystery, sometimes it is hanging for all to see. Each shop does different colors on the quilt. You get one 'piece' of the quilt at each shop. If you don't visit a shop you won't get that 'piece' of the quilt. Sharing is discouraged because of copyright, the shops usually buy the pattern for the shop hop.

It is not necessary to buy and any of the shops. The only thing for us is that we have to purchase a 'passport'. Ours is $5.00. It is a card that has all of the shops listed with the rules on the back. We also receive a 'charm' when we purchase the 'passport'. At each store you watch the demo and then they will stamp your passport. Each store has a special stamp. You have a specific amount of time to make it to all stores. When you visit the last store on the hop you leave your 'passport' at that store and they throw it in a pot with all of the other 'passports' for the drawing of their grand prize. Ours is usually a sewing machine. They also have other prizes too, but can't remember what they are.

They are a lot of fun and even better when you take a pal with you. You get to see some neat tools of the trade and of course you find stores that have just the right fabric you have been looking for.

I hope this helps!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 AM

Fun times! The last one I went to, I went alone and didn't make it to all the shops. I did, however get a speeding ticket in one county, I was going 84! Can't remember the last ticket I got, blamed it on the new car ! ouch! 188.50 $$$$ And he said he gave me a break.