Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: what do you do..........

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,754
    what do you do when you have a big quilt. Bigger then work area or floor area? i did davids on my king bed but man oh man my back is still killing me from bending over the bed to pin (i tie) would i use basting spray next time? i kept thinking theres gotta be a simpliar way :(

    also........ after pinning edges to back, do you trim then or wait until after you sew, then trim ????

    SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS ,,,,,,, I JUST DON'T EVEN WANT ANOTHER REPEAT OF THE SKULL QUILT..... IT WAS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME WANNA QUIT.... I'M STILL SOMEWHAT NEW SO I KNEW THERES HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY

  2. #2
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,698
    I sandwich, pin baste, then tie. Pin all the way around the quilt and sew it... sew on the binding on the front side, trim to edge of binding and turn it and sew the binding to the back. That's just how I do mine, everyone I am sure has their own technique.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    380
    I do a couple of things for the very same reason - my aching back! :-)

    I've done this method on youtube (watch both - they're part 1 & 2) by
    Sharon Schamber.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjB...eature=related

    OR.... I have a 6 ft. folding table that I bring out, smooth out my backing, centered on the table, then the batting and top and start basting from the middle, then move to the top or bottom and baste those (I usually thread baste because it's easier when I machine quilt, but I HAVE pinned). I don't tape the edges or anything, I just am careful when I lay it out and also as I baste to check that everything's smooth. That works really well for me because then I can sit on my computer chair and roll around. I still need to take breaks, but it's MUCH easier than crawling around on the floor!

    Just FYI, I haven't done a king size this way, but I've done a queen and lots of twin and double size.

  4. #4
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,835
    Blog Entries
    3
    is there someplace nearby, like a church or community center, where you could use a meeting room, push some tables together, and work on those?

    i usually make lap and crib size quilts. on the few bed-size quilts i've done, i've draped the whole thing over my kitchen table (or kitchen counter) and sprayed/smoothed/pinned/basted from the center out. once the center is done, i work on table/counter-sized sections until it's all conquered.

    if the design includes sashing between the blocks, you can also use one of many different methods to quilt it in sections, and then attach the sections to each other. complete the quilt by attaching the sashing to the front ... also in manageable sections.

    i don't usually use a traditional binding. i try to leave at least one or two extra inches of back and batting all the way around. i attach strips to the back. i turn them to the front and use them as a combination last border and binding.

  5. #5
    Member Lynda in TN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southeast GA/tn/fl
    Posts
    75
    Senior Centers and libraries sometimes let you do it, too. Actually, most Senior Centers have quilt groups...so do a lot of churches.

  6. #6
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,370
    I ususally go to our church that DH is a pastor at and use tables pushed togther, or on the floor. I spray baste and then mostly do a simple machine quilting. I am ususally able to recruit friends or my dh or someone to help me baste, it is too hard to do by myself. do you have afriend or husband you can recruit to help you now and then when doing large quilts?

  7. #7
    Super Member Celeste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Ca
    Posts
    4,483
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by minstrel
    OR.... I have a 6 ft. folding table that I bring out, smooth out my backing, centered on the table, then the batting and top and start basting from the middle, then move to the top or bottom and baste those (I usually thread baste because it's easier when I machine quilt, but I HAVE pinned).
    My mom and I have done this and used the really large binder clips to keep the 'sandwich' taught. (spelled correctly?)

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,754
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    I sandwich, pin baste, then tie. Pin all the way around the quilt and sew it... sew on the binding on the front side, trim to edge of binding and turn it and sew the binding to the back. That's just how I do mine, everyone I am sure has their own technique.
    thanks dearheart, cuz i'm looking at hubby's quilt top and going uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrggggggggghjhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh :x can't i just give it to him like this? no back.. :lol:

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,754
    Quote Originally Posted by minstrel
    I do a couple of things for the very same reason - my aching back! :-)

    I've done this method on youtube (watch both - they're part 1 & 2) by
    Sharon Schamber.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjB...eature=related

    OR.... I have a 6 ft. folding table that I bring out, smooth out my backing, centered on the table, then the batting and top and start basting from the middle, then move to the top or bottom and baste those (I usually thread baste because it's easier when I machine quilt, but I HAVE pinned). I don't tape the edges or anything, I just am careful when I lay it out and also as I baste to check that everything's smooth. That works really well for me because then I can sit on my computer chair and roll around. I still need to take breaks, but it's MUCH easier than crawling around on the floor!

    Just FYI, I haven't done a king size this way, but I've done a queen and lots of twin and double size.
    thanks kiddo. great ideas here :D

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I think this would work well for you Bev- I am going to try it after the holidays. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/3884.page
    cool thanks :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.