Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

What do you do?

When you see a collection of fabrics that you LOVE and want to add to your stash but do not have a particular project in mind?

Do you buy a jelly roll, fat quarter collection, charm pack, layer cake or just buy some yardage of the fabrics that catch your eye and hope you get enough for a future project?

I just saw the Moda Collection Enchanted Pond and want to buy some but have been only quilting for a year so still learning how to build a stash.

I have been lurking for several months and am learning so much, this is my first post.

Jeannie

if i see something i like i usually get at least a yard.

I would buy yardage and add to my stash.

Blog Entries
    I buy what I love and what I can afford. I very seldom buy fat quarters or any precuts. To me it seems more economical to buy yardage. I almost always buy with a coupon or on sale and try to buy at least a yard. If it is a fabric that will go with a lot of others, like a blender or something like that I try to buy more.

Blog Entries
    I learned the hard way...if I really love something,I get 3yards,plus 1yard cuts of 2 or 3 pieces to go with it. Then there is enough to do a pretty good sized quilt. My stash is full of beautiful fat 1/4 s and small pieces...just encourages the creative juices.

Hoping my SS won't know it is me sending them their SS package
    Blog Entries
    I usually buy some of each fabric in the collection.

Once I get home with the fabric and depending on how much there
    is I will put it all into a zip lock bag (usually a 1 gallon or the 2-1/2 gallon)
    it there is a pattern that goes with the fabrics (and I have a copy of it) it
    goes into the bag with fabrics also along with a details notes I make with
    my ideas, thoughts etc.
    Louise - Expecting Ya-ya to be in April 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world . Also collect homemade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I pile up fabrics to my stash, usually buying at least 1 yd, if I really love it, I get 3-4 yds. That's usually enough for bigger quilts too, and occasionally I donate some to my mom if I can't come up with a good project and she has something on mind.... :-)
    Occasionally I buy charm packs or fat quarters as far as the precuts go but I have found it be more useful to have fabric by yard - there is always some use for it! More than once I have gotten an inspiration from my fat quarter stash, just to find that I would need a few certain color fat quarters more .....

If there are several fabrics in the collection and I love them all, i might buy a 2-3 charm packs and yardage of a couple of my favorites to go with them. That way I will have some of all the fabrics but won't break the bank.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

It depends on what size quilts you like to make. Let's say you are thinking of a wall hanging or lap size quilt i would buy 2 of the same precut and then couple of the different fabrics to coordinate (at least 2 yards each) for borders and sashing, then you could use all what is left to make a unique backing.
    If you like big quilts then i wouldn't buy less that 3 yards of each fabric and like (4-5) ones to make the full quilt with borders and sashing whatever needed.
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

It depends on what I see the fabric becoming. If I "see" it becoming a specific pattern I buy enough for various parts of that quilt. If I don't know the pattern yet but it would be great borders I get at least 3 yards. If it's likely to be a focus fabric in the blocks and the borders then I get 6 to 8 yards. For the supporting fabrics in a quilt I generally get two yards.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast