Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing? >

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Default What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

I had a bright idea to combine two types of basting and ended up with the first ever tucks and folds in my quilt backing. It's waaaaay too late to take the quilting out now. (It looks worse than these pictures... the second picture has a quarter-inch fold in it!)

What do you do when this happens?
Attached Thumbnails tucks-1.jpg   tucks-2.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I had a bright idea to combine two types of basting and ended up with the first ever tucks and folds in my quilt backing. It's waaaaay too late to take the quilting out now. (It looks worse than these pictures... the second picture has a quarter-inch fold in it!)

What do you do when this happens?
If it is too late to go back then smile and go forward. I think that often a quilt is not loved for its perfection but for the love that went into it. I would love to see a picture of the front, I bet it is lovely!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 PM

You need to prepare the back so this doesnt happen next time. Once this happens just go on and find out how to avoid it next time.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Wash it. A lot of mistakes are made less noticeable after washing & drying.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

After the temper tantrum stops, I take out the quilting and fix it if it is on a solid back. On a patterned back, I have used an invisible ladder stitch to stitch the fold down and if I didn't point it out, you would never see it. I highly recommend patterned backing fabric.
Is someplace you can hand stitch some appliqués for a reversible quilt?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM

My first FMQ bed runner, I overstretched the top, in relation to the back (first time FMQ'ing and with using the Frame! DUH!) and had one really massive "flap" of fabric. SO, I took the plunge, and actually folded the flap across the entire width and "stitched" it down. When I quilted over it, it wasn't visible. I washed it, then showed it to co-workers, several of whom are very accomplished quilters and NO ONE even noticed. I did piece the back, so maybe everyone thought it was a seam and not a boo-boo! Keeps us humble, doesn't it?!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
After the temper tantrum stops, I take out the quilting and fix it if it is on a solid back. On a patterned back, I have used an invisible ladder stitch to stitch the fold down and if I didn't point it out, you would never see it. I highly recommend patterned backing fabric.
Is someplace you can hand stitch some appliqués for a reversible quilt?
I was thinking about 'hemming' the folds down after I'm finished, but I didn't know if that would make it worse or not. This is a challenge quilt that required all solid fabrics. The darned thing has to go into our local show next year. I was going to give it away after that, but I don't think I could with the back looking so bad.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 PM

First, I try to not let them happen. However, being other than perfect, it occasionally happens. When it does happen, I iron the fold as flat as I can and then sew it down with a blind stitch. A hidden stitch isn't as obvious as an open fold. Right or wrong, that's what I do.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Those tucks and folds may be the perfect spot for an applique on the back or a label:>
Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Those tucks and folds may be the perfect spot for an applique on the back or a label:>
I agree! what do some say about an 'error' or 'mistake' turning into a 'design choice'! Think outside the box for a minute...I'm sure you'll come up with a cool design feature!

Nan