Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you fall out of love with the material you picked?

Hi - Being new to quilting last New Year's Day I did a mystery and wanted to make it King Size. I bought a really nice line of fabric called Once Upon a Christmas by Susan Winget for Benartex. At the time I loved the material.
    Now it is almost a year later and I'm still not done with the quilt. I was wishing it had more brighter colors in it.
    So what do I do?
    Continue - finish it and like it or put it away?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes a quilts colors can surprise you after it has been quilted. You may fall back in love with it. Go ahead and finish it.

Blog Entries
    I would put it away, along with all of the fabric, for a little while... sometimes we just get tired of the project... not necessarily the quilt itself :wink: then when you pick it up again, you will see why you fell in love with it the first time :D:D:D

Put it away for about ten years!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Seriously, you're not likely to grow any fonder of it if you continue to work on it now. And we don't want you to lose interest in quilting, so . . .

Blog Entries
    I would finish it and give it as a gift. I find often that a quilt will come alive when it is quilted and bound. Show us a photo maybe we can offer some suggestions to liven it up!:)

I so agree! A quilt all quilted really takes on a whole different life. Don't forget you can always spice it up by the thread you use to quilt it, or just by the way you do quilt it. Keep going!

I recently made one that I fell out of love with in the piecing process. Once I finished it, I fell back in love with it. I call it "In and Out of Love" lol. Put it away for a while, finish it eventually, and if you still don't love it, somebody surely will :)

Do you have any pictures of it?

Sometimes just taking a break from it helps. Do a fun smaller project and you may be ready to go back to this one.

Blog Entries
    I have no help to offer. I hate working with fabric /colors I don't like. If I put something away, it's there for the duration.
    How about finishing your quilt as a gift for someone?

Blog Entries
    Maybe take on a small project - a tablerunner or wallhanging. After you finish it - take a look at the old project and see how you feel about it. I have a WIP that I started afew years back as a queen size - got a new bed it's now a king size. I have all but a small piece done and then its just sewing blocks together. I just found that this small piece of the quilt was not as fun as I thought it would be. It involves dec stitches in the center of each block, and I don't have a top of the line embroidery machine so it was more work than I anticipated to get the look I wanted. I haven't touched the project for at least 6 months but am now looking forward to getting back to it once my holiday sewing is done.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast