Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your quilts when they are finished? >

What do you do with your quilts when they are finished?

What do you do with your quilts when they are finished?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Do you display them? Promptly put them on the bed for use and love? Give them away? I must admit, for the most part I am STINGY. I put so much time and effort into handquilting, and I feel it is my art. So I store them away. I have to stop doing that! Somewhere in my mind, when I am dead and gone, some great-great-great-great niece/nephew whatever will marvel at the time and effort put into it, and maybe know who I was.

My father died almost a year ago, and when it isn't so painful, I plan to take his old work shirts and "going to see his girlfriend" shirts and make quilts for my niece and nephew, his only grandchildren. Oh, I have to explain the "going to see his girlfriend shirts"..my mother died in 1990. Daddy had a girlfriend since 2000 that died in 2007. He had his work clothes (he had his own logging/timbercutting business), and then there were his good clothes he would wear to take his girlfriend to dinner or the movies. Those quilts I will give to them, with a tag on the back stating who he was, and why he was special. My other quilts, though, I will probably still be stingy with, lol.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Most of my quilts are just lap size and tied, because I donate them. The rest of mine have been either gifts or for my granddaughter. I'm still for on a Triple Irish Crown for me, probably won't be done before the year anniversary.LOL But if you want to keep them, do so, except you might run out of room and beds. LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Most of the quilts that I have made have been given away as wedding, baby, birthday, graduation and thank you for watching my animals gifts. I have donated several as well. I have about 10 around the house, a couple on each bed and several in the living room on a rack. I have 2 more here that I will finish soon that are for me (for now) they will get folded and put on the quilt rack so I can show them to all my friends when they come by. Make sure you take pictures of them all before you fold up or give away. I got pictures of most of my quilts, except most of the pictures were taken on a regular camera and I have no idea where the copies of those pictures are. All my current ones are on my digital camera and I have a folder on the computer just for the quilts I have made.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM

I use them. I display them and I give them away.

I agree with what has been said here there is only so much room in this house. When I give a quilt away I hope it will be used.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 PM

I have been making quiilts for about 20 yrs. The ones that I used to hand quilt are all given to my kids. Since I not longer hand quilt most all of them go to a long armer to be quilted or I tie them. Some I have sold. Some have been given for charity and others are gifts etc. I have kept a few, but for the most part I want people to use them and enjoy them . Yes, it is hard to let some of them go, especially if I like the pattern or color or the time it took to make them. Marge
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Most of them are given away, mostly Christmas gifts, some wedding, some baby shower gifts, One going away and some birthday ones. My kids have one or two, my husband has one and I have one halloween one that was finished a week after halloween 2 years ago. Oh, and one to help raise money for a big school field trip. There is a long list of people that have them on their wish list. I have pics of most of them, one or two I am missing but know where they are. I put the time and effort and love into them for the people that they are going to. I am investing in them, though I don't hand quilt them. Each one was made with a specific person or people in mind. I am of the mind that I put all that work into them for them to be used.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM

What a wonderful sentiment to make quilts from your dad's shirts. Just to know he felt special and dressed up in those clothes should make any recipient remember your dad very fondly. I think that is so neat. It's a great way to remember our loved ones and do a little "green" too!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM

All the quilts I make are given away. I have one ugly one on my bed. I have decided that after doing this for the last 15 years, that from now on the quilts will be for me.....well after I finish the one I'm making for my niece's baby LOL.

Oh and they were all hand pieced & hand quilted and being used every day by the people they were given to.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM

one wallhanging in the works (sigh) for my sister. one on the wall
(100 x 100) for me. 30 years worth for my kids. some to use, some to show.

oh, and two twins and one queen that i tied off for our ex-beach house.
too heavy to hang (blankets for batts). don't know what will happen there.

loads of cheater's baby quilts. they throw up all over anyway. why waste the time and money? i know - that's awful of me! lot's of baby's real wallquilts.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

My kids and grand daughter all have many quilts on their beds. I finally got a couple for my bed. I have a hard time giving them away. I am now getting ready to do one for my sister. SHHHHH. Don't tell her. It's a surprise. LOL