Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Default What do you do with your scraps?

I think I am a fabric hoarder. (no, I know that I am) I keep all my scraps. Well, I ended up with 2 boxes of them so I cut what I could into 5" charms, then cut the smaller pieces into hex's and kept the strips that were at least an inch. Everything else has gone into a bag to make cat beds. The strips will be sewn together to make more fabric for a scrap quilt. With prices for fabric I hate to throw anything that can be usable somehow away. Am I the only one who does this?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 AM

Nope..I saveanything. Bigger than an inch and use the pieces for making crumb blocks. Anything smaller goes into dog beds. Fabric is too expensive to waste.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 AM

They all go in a tubby and when I need applique or just something small, I can usually find it in there. I make scrap quilts too. My DD loves the one I made her for Christmas. Fabric is too expensive to waste.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 AM

I have a hard time parting with any of my scraps. I was just sorting through them this morning. I have a tub of fabric leftover from projects that I have made that could be used again (maybe 6" or so or bigger) Then I have a tub and a box that I keep pieces smaller than that. These I figure could be used for something sometime...like maryb119 said many times you just need a little something. someday I may get the courage to make a scrappy quilt (I am afraid of all of the different colors and how they will work together that is why I hesitate)

Once my pieces get to be less than 1" I do pitch them...I don't think I have the patience to make a crumb quilt. But frances yuhas has a point... maybe I can think about pet beds. I don't have a dog but cats need beds too
Old 12-30-2014, 09:34 AM

I guess technically, what I do with my scraps is make the pile bigger.

I saw on this board that someone made a 'crumbs qult'
I would like to than that person for mentioning it because now I havve a half full box of CRUMBS!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 AM

I send all my scraps that are at least 4" long and/or 1-1/2" wide to my sister, who makes the most beautiful potholders. Then, I get potholders, which I give away as gifts (after picking out the ones I like best).

For everything else, I take a yard of muslin, sew it into a bag, then put it into a trash can (like a liner). Anything smaller than what I send to my sister, including trimmings, dog ears, threads, etc., goes into the bag. When it is filled up, I sew up the end, then make a pillowcase cover with snap closures. I give these to friends who have pets, since I don't have any.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

jenny Doan has a video about pet beds and scraps. You make a pillow case and turn it inside out like when you put a bag into waste basket. you just add your scraps (small itty bitties) until you get the basket case full. Takes a while but then again you have a filled pet bed automatically then just close it up. And it's washable.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 AM

I just started making a Farmer's Wife Sample Quilt with my small scraps. I am sorting them into color groupings. The blocks for that quilt are 6-inches finished, so there are some tiny pieces needed.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I used a lot of my scraps in my queen size Spiderweb (quiltville free pattern )scrap quilt for our bed. I have a 18 inch square box left that will no doubt end up in another scrap quilt. I love scrap quilt!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

There's a whole site devoted to scraps & how to use them with tons of free patterns:
http://www.quiltville.com/
and she has a system for organizing:
http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml