Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you have your tension set on the GQ1200 machine? >

What do you have your tension set on the GQ1200 machine?

What do you have your tension set on the GQ1200 machine?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 PM

I have owned a GQ1200 mounted on a Inspira frame for about 4 years. I have worked through so many problems each time I load on a new quilt. I haven't found any classes posted to learn about this machine. I just recently found your website when I was having trouble with the needle. Thank you for the idea of HL needles only. I just wanted to know what number to set the tension on. The manual does not tell that at all.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM

I have the same thing. I have only used it once & it was after I had already sandwiched the quilt to be quilted. Their is a yahoo group for this though. I printed out lots of pictures on how to thread, etc., but haven't had any time to work on it. I think it was someone from that group told me to set the tension about halfway between the 4 & 5 line. Haven't tried it yet. I think you can find the group if you go to yahoo.comgroup/PfaffHobbyGandQuilter

Originally Posted by Peggie395
I have owned a GQ1200 mounted on a Inspira frame for about 4 years. I have worked through so many problems each time I load on a new quilt. I haven't found any classes posted to learn about this machine. I just recently found your website when I was having trouble with the needle. Thank you for the idea of HL needles only. I just wanted to know what number to set the tension on. The manual does not tell that at all.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks, I tried before but wasn't turning the knob far enough. It did work though. Now the thread keeps breaking. I am using Sulky varigated color 30wt with a HL needle so I don't know what to try next. Have also rethreaded the machine. I am almost to the end of a king size quilt in the frame. So frustrating.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Peggy, did you try the yahoo group for support? I printed out pictures & other info from that site but haven't had time to try anything yet. Maybe someone on that group could help.
Thanks, I tried before but wasn't turning the knob far enough. It did work though. Now the thread keeps breaking. I am using Sulky varigated color 30wt with a HL needle so I don't know what to try next. Have also rethreaded the machine. I am almost to the end of a king size quilt in the frame. So frustrating.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Yes, I just checked for messages but no reply. Thanks for your suggestions and I will keep trying different things to finish this quilt. I usually use Signature machine quilting thread on top and the bobbin but got talked into Sulky. It just started to break when I reached a few rows from the bottom. I even raised the rollers so it could move easier. Peggie
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Peggie, did you go to the left side of the group under files. Their are different things posted under that & one of them is about thread breaking and so on. I don't know if any of it would help or not. That's where I found some things that I think are going to help me if I ever get time to try.

Yes, I just checked for messages but no reply. Thanks for your suggestions and I will keep trying different things to finish this quilt. I usually use Signature machine quilting thread on top and the bobbin but got talked into Sulky. It just started to break when I reached a few rows from the bottom. I even raised the rollers so it could move easier. Peggie
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks, I printed out all the suggestions and I am going to try right now. One problem was my needle wasn't big enough and another was the backing I am using, extra wide batik fabric and the third was what I expected, the variegated thread. I live in North Tucson and quilt in the summer because it is too hot to go anywhere. I see you also live in a hot climate. Thanks again. Peggie
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Let me know how it all works out. Maybe you can help me with mine later. And yes I live in a hot climate also but it's better than snow.

Thanks, I printed out all the suggestions and I am going to try right now. One problem was my needle wasn't big enough and another was the backing I am using, extra wide batik fabric and the third was what I expected, the variegated thread. I live in North Tucson and quilt in the summer because it is too hot to go anywhere. I see you also live in a hot climate. Thanks again. Peggie
Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

it depends on what thread you use on the top-in the bobbin and what you are sewing-
tension has to be set to be balanced for your threads/fabric combination-
where mine is set will have nothing to do with what you are doing-sorry
Old 07-20-2011, 04:06 PM

I know that but just in general if I had something come up. I know I just need to start using it & practice, practice, practice, but I couldn't even thread the machine. I think I can actually do that now. And like you said the needle you were using was to small. I don't think I would have thought about that. Just things like that.
Originally Posted by ckcowl
it depends on what thread you use on the top-in the bobbin and what you are sewing-
tension has to be set to be balanced for your threads/fabric combination-
where mine is set will have nothing to do with what you are doing-sorry