Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like about binding? >

What do you like about binding?

What do you like about binding?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM

Buying binding or making your own can make the process easier. Truly, it is the stitching it on the quilt, that finishing touch that gives satisfaction. While I don't look forward to binding, I am glad to be at that point with a quilt. In fact, I make sure the binding is sewn together correctly to ensure a non-stop stitch. The smoother the process, the greater the satisfaction.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 AM

I know when I get to the point of binding, the quilt is almost ready for it's owner. I don't mind the binding at all...I get to choose what color I want to end the project with...and each time I want to start another quilt, I remind myself to finish the binding on this one, then I can go play with another!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Hi I just finished a lap robe and I don't like a wide binding so I cut strips of 3 inches and sew them together to be one long strip. then I fold in half (can press if needed) I sew on right side of quilt with the batting and backing already tied on. About 1/4 inch. After I get that done I turn it over and fold under 1/4 th inch and sew by hand onto the back side.At the corners I make mitered corners. After you do a few they become very easy. quilt for fun Grandma G
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
This sounds really exciting!! I have so much trouble at the end of binding. So I kind of get what you are saying. Both pieces need to be the same length as width, right? Now, that makes complete sense. I would never have thought of that in a million years. I would love to see a step by step instruction on this method though, just to make sure I have it right. I understand not to cut it after I sew to make sure I sewed it side to side and not up and down and also to make sure it fits snugly.

After reading all those posts, I'm kind of excited to bind my 9 quilts. Well, not all 9 at once. And I think it's 10 now that my king is finished. And I have one coming back from the long armers really soon and have a baby quilt I have to hurry and make. So, I do like the hand sewing on binding better than machine sewing and I do watch TV at night, so there is the perfect time for me. I don't drink, so no fun wine to go with it. I guess I could have hot flavored tea. Yummmm! What I want to do is my king first and I probably shouldn't start on such a big one at first because I'll get burnt out. I have one that I already cut the binding, attached it, ironed it in half and it's sitting there. All I have to do is roll it up on my Simplicity's The Winder. OMG! You all have me wanting to bind, and hand bind at that!

Thank you all so very much. I didn't think anyone could talk me into wanting to bind but you all did. And if I decided to machine bind it to the front instead of hand bind it to the back, I will be happy as can be because I will be binding just the same. Thank you thank you thank you! Truly!!!!

Well, we will expect pictures of course! And good for you to have found this enthusiasm. I would start with a little one vs. the king size. As you said, you don't want to get burnt out and that way you'd at least have one done. Enjoy!

Donna
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM

I love doing the binding. It is such an accomplishment, because it puts the icing on the cake I do the double fold binding. My corners are nicely mitered and turn out very well. It just takes a bit of practice, and I always join the ends, when I get all around the quilt, with the spliced method. It doesn't show, and it looks so nice, much better then the tucking the end in method. When I started qulting 6 years ago, my sister,who has quilted for around 30 years, used to say, "Oh, your corners are so cute and round". I nearly cried. I just couldn't get it right. It makes me smile now, when I think of how hard I struggled to get it down pat. So enjoy the binding, see it as a beautiful finishing touch to a beautiful quilt. Also, I do sew it to the front and hand stitch it onto the back. I like the clips that look like hair clips, to hold the binding down while hand stitching. They are great, and there are no pins to poke me. What is really fun, it to do a bias binding on a large round wall hanging. It goes on much easier than on a quilt. It amazes me, no careful fitting, etc. just stitch it on the front and enjoy hand stitching it down on the back.

I am trying to find my nitch in binding. Me and binding don't go together. There isn't one aspect of it I like except the end result, when it's finished. So, if you will share with me what you like about binding, maybe it will get me to start binding. I have so many quilts to bind and no drive to do any of them. I want to start a new quilt, but I really need to bind these first. I want to like to bind really badly!

Last edited by ploverwi2; 08-27-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM

I just watched the video on U TUBE - "How to attach a continuous binding." That is pretty much how I do it, but she didn't have the magic triangle pressed in, so she was just sewing "by eye" across that last seam. I also find it easier to lay out those last two tails wrong side up, and pick them right sides together; then just twist them the correct way.
When I'm showing people how to do this, I usually put my hands down on the table over the ends, fingers pointing toward each other, pick up my hands and "say my prayers" then twist my hands at the fingertips until they are at right angles. Then I can twist them the other way to show how to find the correct way that will put that pressed triangle in the right place. I guess you have to have a good imagination to figure this out. Have fun. Mavis
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM

I am trying to find my nitch in binding. Me and binding don't go together. There isn't one aspect of it I like except the end result, when it's finished. So, if you will share with me what you like about binding, maybe it will get me to start binding. I have so many quilts to bind and no drive to do any of them. I want to start a new quilt, but I really need to bind these first. I want to like to bind really badly!

I'm with you the only thing I really like about binding is that when it's on the quilt is finally finished. I hate to do hand work and I have to on the binding, as I don't like the looks of sewing it finally down by machine. I can't get it to look good so I hand sew. However not that I have vetted some, I rean across a neat tool I purchased some time back and had forgotten about - the Quilter's Boot. for making the mitred corner on quilts and for other uses too. I decided I would try this on the two quilts that I need binding on, what a neat tool really works good. On one of the quilts I was using a 3" strip, that I had originally cut for a border on this quilt and didn't like it, but decided to use it for a binding instead, love how the 3" works and folds over better than the 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" I normally use. Also I read a thread on the board recently about some of the quilters not pressing their binding in half before sewing and how neat it folded over -- tried that on these two quilts love how it works and looks -thanks for the hint. I still don't like the hand sewingthough. You might invest in the quilter's boot and see how you like it. I couldn't remember where I purchased it, but then I searched a few sites and found it on Nancy's Notions.com for $7.99 -- worth every penny of it I might add. Have fun.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM

I love hand sewing (hand quilting, not so much). I really look forward to stitching the binding on so I can sit in front of the TV in the recliner and watch old movies while I hand stitch the binding to the back.