Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a cream fabric? >

What do you look for in a cream fabric?

What do you look for in a cream fabric?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 PM

Sadly my family has suffered great loss this year first my Gran then my Uncle. After my Aunt heard I was making something special for my mother to remember them by, My aunt requested if I would make her one as well. I gladly accepted just told her to send me the size, pics of my uncle, and the color sceme she wanted. So she did and I'm stumped! She wants mostly cream with a little green and or burgandy. I have the others but I don't stash cream fabrics. I gave the long story just to tell how special this is and how perfect I want this. I chose the love knot pattern to alternate with the picture blocks. I need two different cream fabrics....So please advise if you can, I need them to blend together yet stand out. Tone on tone? Marbles? solid? How does everyone else pick cream fabric to go in a quilt? Thanks i
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 AM

There are many beautiful blender fabrics out there. My first choice is usually Kaufman Fusions or one of the many marble fabrics. The fusions usually have more of a design, but still tone on tone.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 AM

When I want something to 'read' solid but have some interest I always go for a tone on tone. If you need two creams that blend but stand apart, maybe find a tone/tone that has some darker areas and another that has opposite tones? Hopefully that made sense.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 AM

Thanks it does make sense and I will look at the Kaufman line!!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
There are many beautiful blender fabrics out there. My first choice is usually Kaufman Fusions or one of the many marble fabrics. The fusions usually have more of a design, but still tone on tone.
me too
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 AM

White on white and cream on cream are my favorite backing fabrics. There are tons out there. Good luck on your hunt and show us the quilts when you get them done. It's such a nice thing you are doing.
Sue
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

the hard thing for me with these cream on cream is to tell which side is the right side... have to be vigilant or it really sticks out in the end
Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
the hard thing for me with these cream on cream is to tell which side is the right side... have to be vigilant or it really sticks out in the end
Before you cut your pieces, mark the back side lightly with chalk in a grid pattern every few inches. It's so much easier to pick out the right side once than it is every time you pick up a piece. :)

I do the same with batiks so that I use it consistently throughout the quilt.