Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places? >

what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places?

what do you put a quilt in when you want to work on binding at different places?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM

I usually just fold it up and carry it. I'd like to make a big bag for carrying larger projects around, but I'm not there yet.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 AM
Banned

I use the laundry basket because I don't have to take the quilt out of it to work on it. Just pull up whatever section I'm working on. That way it isn't dragging on various floors.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 AM

I would use a plastic tote box of the appropriate size to carry it and tools I need (in their own small plastic box) to carry these various places to sew and work on them. You can more easily manipulate the portion you are working on and yet keep the bulk of it controlled and clean within the confines of the tote box. It is no harder to carry than a cloth or plastic bag. Like the others have said, shun the garbage bag. I know someone who had a wonderful quilt in progress get pitched in the trash because several 'volunteer helpers' came to help break down a quilt show.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

​If it isn't too big, they have really large clear zip lock bags. Make sure you have the clips on the binding edge and not pins. A pin accidentally left somewhere can be a danger to children and pets.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I made a couple of really big simple totes. No quilting or batting. One tip is to make the lining from garment lining fabric, taffeta, formal wear satin etc. Any fabric that's slippery. This way you can easily get your quilt in & out.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:14 AM

Someone I used to work with bought an almost complete new wardrobe for a vacation she was planning. Had them all in a garbage bag. Her mom threw them all out thinking they were trash. Lesson learned. Never use a trash bag to store things of value.
Sue
Old 02-27-2017, 03:54 AM

Totes and pillowcases sound good. Everyone is right...NO TRASH bags!!! My daughter recently took all extra kid stuff out of her car, stroller parts, coats, library books. Everything to make room for more people to be able to travel to a play. She put it in the garage to keep safe until she had a chance to go through it all. My husband took it to the curb. Yep now lots of things have to be replaced!! I wish I had some quilting friends to visit and sew with! Sounds like fun times!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:51 AM

Ziplock Big Bags are perfect. They even have a handle.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:54 AM

I have a large bag that we made, that holds a king size quilt..........uses 2 dowels for handles...I embroidered a monogram on the front (have made several using home dec or upholstery fabric for the outside)...........they are heavy when filled with "stuff" but they hold a lot and protect your quilts...........
Old 02-27-2017, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the ideas.