Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 AM

and it looks ghastly long uneven stitches pieces don't match colors are so ugly or if you go to a craft show and see someone selling their work and it looks so bad you feel bad for them. I have seen some stuff so awful I am surprised it was let into the show. I usually just say oh that's interesting did it take you long to do?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 AM

I say.." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I love bright cheery colors and some think they are horrible, so I say live and let live.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 AM

I would ask how long have they been quilting and if they took classes? I may even offter to help them out if they would like my help. You must have seen mine :lol: :lol:
Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:44 AM

If I can't find a single endearing quality...I say nothing at all. If its a one on one situation where I'd clearly be expected to say *something* I'd say something completely generic - "Very interesting fabric choices" or whatever. I really try to find something I like about any project, even if it's not my style. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't want to be "that guy" (well, I'm a girl) that said something about someone's work and hurt their feelings. Quilting techniques and choices are very much a personal thing. I put a fair bit of thought into the things I do for any given quilt. Maybe my color choices don't appeal to you...but there is a reason I chose them. Know what I mean? Maybe I chose those colors because they remind me of my deceased grandfather and I wanted to make something to honor him. For someone to then tell me my color choices are crap would break my heart...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Kind words are the first comment to make.
Amen! And the second and third, too! :)
Just remember we all started somewhere no one is perfect. Remember when you 1st started we didn't know anything then BUT the Praise & Nice quotes sure made us want to do & Learn more.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
Just remember we all started somewhere no one is perfect. Remember when you 1st started we didn't know anything then BUT the Praise & Nice quotes sure made us want to do & Learn more.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

There's always something that you can say. I like your comment "Oh that's interesting did it take you long to do?" I may borrow that!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 AM

I went to a show and there was a simple quilt not sewn too well. I knew this was someone's first attempt and she was happy with it. I told her--Your quilt has a very homey feeling. Like I would like to wrap up in it and read a good book.--I later found out that the quilter has parkinson's disease. What an effort she put forth in making this quilt! Not all quilts are up to Padukah standards but they are all special.
Rita
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 AM

If it's the maker's choices (style, pattern, colors, fabrics, technique, etc.) that are not to my liking, but the work is well done, I'd comment on the workmanship. If the workmanship is poor, but the choices show skill, I'd comment on one of those points. If all the makers choices plus her execution are poor in my opinion, I would say nothing at all. If asked directly, I would encourage her to keep practicing, still making no comment on the particular piece in question.