Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think need to be taught? >

What do you think need to be taught?

What do you think need to be taught?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:28 PM

I think it's always fun to go to a class that we can make for someone or ourselves. For those of us that don't live near to your quilt store I would recommend visiting the Quilt University.com They have some great classes and at resonable rates.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Again..totally agree with quiltmom. Make it clear in your printed information that you do NOT teach them how to use their machine or "borrowed from my Mom, how do I thread it?" I too taught a lot of classes and my beginner class was the most popular. I would suggest the next class to them after I saw how they did with the beginner class, as some do better than others.

Your jacket is beautiful and by all means, take some of your other sewing/quiting work to the shop when you go. I hope you'll keep us posted on what happens.

Don't let all of this talk discourage you, Sparky....just go for it. We all learn as we go along, and the same with teaching what we know.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Having taught at Grandma's Attic, where Sparky will be teaching, there is a very strong support staff to help her get more advanced students. GA has a very good program for beginners and if you haven't had that or the equivelent, then you "get" to take it! before going on to more advanced work. I am biased, I suppose, but I love the staff there, and the owner is a great person. The only reason I'm not there is because we had a baby boy dropped on our proverbial doorstep, and so I retired to stay home and be a mom again. My oldest is 51 and the youngest is 35, and it was a whole new ballgame. Anyway, this is off the subject........I know a lot of the quilters who frequent the shop, and they tend to be pretty good quilters. I think Sparky will do great because her work is stunning; AND the owner doesn't hire just just anyone off the street; they have to be pretty special and have special talents. I'm proud of you Sparky, and can't wait to meet you!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I just signed up for an "Accidental Landscapes" class. I am a rabid photographer, and I would like to learn to turn my pictures into quilts. I've read tons about it and collected fabrics with a particular picture in mind, but I've been completely intimidated about getting started. I would like to see more of these kinds of classes.

The other class I would like to take is one on free-motion quilting.
I'm glad you are doing that. In addition, I would suggest contacting Janet Fogg. She does an excellent job of teaching. She will get your creative side going. She will help you put some of those photos into great quilts. I took a class at her studio with 2 other persons. She also teaches a several day class at Sister's, but since you are so close, do it individually. It is well worth the cost.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks! I would love to meet you too!